Happy today because....

Started by Steve, April 14, 2007, 10:39:40

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on January 17, 2021, 11:21:44
Quote from: MeltingMan on January 16, 2021, 19:20:59The images were badly deformed, but no problem with the Pr*tt pen. 😉

That's something like a glue stick, in case anyone wonders.

At least he's not using *h*.  I mean, it would work, but who, apart from Germans, would know what it was?  :angel
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueCbut who, apart from the Germans,

🤓

Quote from: pr*ttworld.comThe Pr*tt pen is available in 38 countries.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

word_on_a_wing

This video made me smile today. I've never seen a cow as cuddly as this!
Twitter- Animals Australia
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

That's really cute, and made me happy too!  :)

...do you know about Bavarian Ox Racing?

Maybe we could send @Ulrich as an emissary from CF to go look at that in real life for us, and report back!  ;)

I wonder if he's got any Lederhosen!  To blend in, etc.  :angel
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quite happy that no right-wing terrorists or other crazies tried to disturb the inauguration and it seemed to go smoothly.

Quote from: SueC on January 20, 2021, 16:12:58I wonder if he's got any Lederhosen!  To blend in, etc.  :angel

No I haven't. Not a big fan of "typical" Bavaria in general. I prefer Frankonia tbh.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Quote from: MeltingMan on January 18, 2021, 13:04:50
Quote from: SueCbut who, apart from the Germans,

🤓

Ah, I see you put a the in!  :)

And now it's time for a little monologue on the weirdnesses of the English language, which, unlike German, is not a particularly logical language.

Let's make a sample sentence, say, "Who, apart from Germans, likes Weisswurst?"

This is quite correct in English (in Australia anyway) - the is not required here (but it's not wrong either, just superfluous), unless you're talking about a specific group, to distinguish them from someone else, e.g. you'd say, "There's Germans and Italians present, and it's the Germans who are eating the Weisswurst!"

There you can't have "the" before the nationalities in the first half of the sentence, but you can use it to emphasise the Germans in the second half.

This works for all nationalities who are pluralised, e.g.

General Germans versus specific the Germans
General Italians versus specific the Italians
General Australians versus specific the Australians

But...some nationalities aren't pluralised, e.g. we don't talk about Japaneses but the Japanese, ditto it's not Swisses but the Swiss, and it's not Englishes but the English...

...but you can say Englishmen or Englishwomen or even Englishpersons, for argument's sake, without having to use the in all cases; e.g. Englishmen are known to drink warm beer.  You could say the Englishmen are known to drink warm beer, but that's a tad too specific, and a bit redundant, so most people would drop the the.

You can also say Frenchmen but you definitely can't say Japanesemen or Swissmen.  Because...you just can't...

English is such fun!  It's full of stuff like that.  It nearly exploded my neatly ordered, rational, logical German brain when I switched languages at age 11.  :lol:

And don't get me started on other stuff like, why is abbreviation such a long word?  :P

And re this thread, I'm still happy today because educated, responsible adults are back in charge at the White House - floating about 20cm off the floor, actually, even though I live nearly halfway across the globe from the US - but it has been highly disconcerting to see a toddler who was apparently dropped on his head in charge of the nuclear codes, and to generally be able to wreak havoc and destroy lives from his position of power - not to mention such a thoroughly nasty human being elevated to such a position.  Huge sigh of relief here.

PS:  @Ulrich, I don't have any Lederhosen either, but I have a hide in the freezer I could possibly craft such a thing from.  It would be a black-and-white patched pair, because it came from a black-and-white patched cow.  Could be quite the fashion statement - not to mention, would probably not wear out quickly even if you have pointy seatbones!  :)
SueC is time travelling

SueC

13th wedding anniversary today! ♥♥  And we've got two and a half weeks of holidays in which to enjoy it, so we're not confining it to 24 hours.  Sort of like we're spending a whole week celebrating a birthday these days.  Just stretching it all out - no reason we have to stick with conventions if we can make our own.

I remember exactly 88 days after we got married, we celebrated our "First Mercurian Wedding Anniversary" because I was impatient and Mercury takes only 88 days to go around the sun (it has the fastest year in our solar system).  We lost track of how many Mercurian anniversaries we've had; but here we go:  We've been married approx. 4748-4750 days (there have been some leap years but I can't be bothered looking those up); and that's nearly 54 Mercurian years!  :)

This morning we agreed once more that we'd do it all over again; and I said that if we could live for 1000 years, I'd still just want to be with him for all of that time (and he said, "Awwwwww! ...imagine how many cups of tea, how many books, how many mornings waking up with each other...).

I don't have to imagine how many mornings - that's a simple shift of the decimal point!  ;)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Ulrich

... it's Sunday, not Monday (as I first thought when I woke up)!  :beaming-face

Trust...

I'm happy today because off my new online website that's be online since today 🤩 Since corona I put back some creativity in my life.

www.victoriapastels.com

Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

dsanchez

Quote from: Trust... on February 07, 2021, 11:47:56I'm happy today because off my new online website that's be online since today 🤩 Since corona I put back some creativity in my life.

That's very fine work, Vicky! :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

Quote from: Trust... on February 07, 2021, 11:47:56I'm happy today because off my new online website that's be online since today 🤩 Since corona I put back some creativity in my life.

www.victoriapastels.com

They're lovely!  :)  I especially liked your poppies - I managed to grow very similar ones this year:

Thanks for sharing!  :cool
SueC is time travelling

Trust...

Thank you I have the poppies also in our garden, took some pictures off them, placed them in a composition. I lost for a while my creativity and I'm glad that I found it back. Same as the long time ago I was here. So I'm back 😏

Trust...

Quote from: dsanchez on February 07, 2021, 13:03:34

That's very fine work, Vicky! :)

Thank you David ☺️

SueC

Happy today because Su-wei Hsieh played rip-roaring tennis against a Top 10, former US Open champion and came out on top, as she not infrequently does - she's one of my favourite people to watch in the Australian Open - also very funny in interviews!  :)  Today she was giving a male post-match interviewer politeness lessons when he kept referring to her age (35) - reminding him that "in Asia we don't mention the girl's age in public!"  :lol:

Su-wei Hsieh explains Taiwan here - and in case you've not seen her highly interesting style of play:

...watching some tennis players, like Djokovic, is like watching the grass grow.  :1f635:   Speaking of, young Frances Tiafoe is currently pushing him further than he's been pushed in a while, and my fingers are firmly crossed for Tiafoe...

PS:  Later on Nick Kyrgios won a 5-setter after being match point down to super young French player Hugo Humbert.  When Kyrgios converted his opponent's match point to break point the crowd just went wild.  They were officially clocked as the noisiest tennis crowd since the start of the pandemic!  The Australian Open is running about one third capacity with large spacings between social groups, but the spectators are punching way above weight in making a racket!  Australian tennis crowds are something else when an Australian player is in action.  It's nice to hear all this noise after a year of mostly silent tennis.  Another really happy thing, that this is even possible, because of the pandemic management in Australia, the strict quarantine and biosecurity bubble for players, and the fact that Melbourne beat the second wave and went back to between zero and a little community transmission (and the little gets jumped on big time).  :cool

But what makes me really happy is that Thanasi Kokkinakis is through to the second round, because he's one of the unluckiest tennis players in the world, with injuries plaguing him most years since he was one Australia's top juniors together with Kyrgios - and then last year he got glandular fever and was knocked right out - but he got a wildcard into the Open and won his first-round match in straight sets two days ago.  Fingers crossed no more injuries.  He's got a big assignment playing the Greek star Tsitsipas, but he's beaten Federer in the past, so it's not impossible.  Will also be great to see him playing doubles with Kyrgios tomorrow and I hope they go far in the competition!  Looking forward to seeing and hearing the crowds. :)
SueC is time travelling