Attention all vegetarians and Vegans..

Started by scatcat, February 23, 2008, 19:54:14

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

I would like to know are there many vegetarians and/or vegans in the curefan family..

I was a vegetarian for many years, starting adolescence, and now my son ( 13 years)
is wanting to become one too..

-of course his father has freaked out & wants to kick him out, mainly because he can't cook anything besides a BBQ!!  :!:

does anyone have any good recipies and ideas.. maybe also an insight as to why you chose this particular lifestyle and how it has affected you.
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

I'm a vegetarian  :-D
I think it been about 11 years now, i don't actually remember eating meat. I became a veggie because i can't actually eat meat due to numerous psychological/eating disorders :? So it wasn't really choice.
But i would have been one anyway because i can't justify killing animals to eat.
I don't havee any good food tips or anything because theres only about 10 foods i can eat  :smth011 i survive on caffine and vitamin tablets  :smth023

scatcat

thanks hero   :smth023
do you eat tofu/soy products? like miso and Tempe?
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

Quote from: scatcat on February 24, 2008, 13:50:42
do you eat tofu/soy products? like miso and Tempe?
Not really, i eat "monkey" food. Nuts, seeds, fruit...(&chocolate! :-D)

frog_s

I'm a veggie yes, since 2 years now. But it's only since 2 years I'm totally off meat, I never ate it that much caus I just don't like it, I know it sounds crazy but there were only like 4 meat containing things I'd eat. So I decided to quit it all because it's also just wrong what happenes in the bio-industrie but that has become such a cliché (though it's true).

I als stopped it because I was eating so little meat that it wasn't (un)healthy for me anyways, it made no difference, and by being an outspoken vegetarian I made myself look at the way I eat more, so I eat more replacing nutrition (like nuts and soy and allot of green vegetables)to keep me up and going.

And after all, it's also just far easier to say:"I'm a vegetarian", when you have dinner at someone els' then having to go into discussion again about what meat I do like, and which don't and why and how and owwww tiring!

For a little while I also thought about it to become a vegan but I guess that goes too far, you can just buy biologically produced milk and eggs, not? Anyways I don't know that much about veganisme, anyone here who's a vegan?

(a vegetarian)Cheers

CureCrusader

frog_s : do you intake dairy , eggs and yoghurt?

and do you take any vitamin supplements?  & are you an adult?

just curious>  :smth023

:D
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

frog_s

haha oh oooh, said something wrong?

Nah I don't take vitamin suppliments, I don't belive in that but I can't explain in English, and yes I do eat eggs etc etc, or else I think I wouldn't last, and even if I wanted to be, I don't have the opportunity (caus no, I'm not an adult, YET)to prepare my own meal anytime I want to.

Did I pass the test? :D

Cheers

CureCrusader

Quote from: frog_s on February 24, 2008, 22:24:47
Nah I don't take vitamin suppliments, I don't belive in that but I can't explain in English, and yes I do eat eggs etc etc, or else I think I wouldn't last, and even if I wanted to be, I don't have the opportunity (caus no, I'm not an adult, YET)to prepare my own meal anytime I want to.

Did I pass the test? :D

Cheers

there is no test  :-D  you said nothing wrong  :smth023
as i a also wanting to be a vegatarian.. or vegan.. I am very interested in dietary requirements..  I can prepare my own food. I'm actually a 'chef' in training.. I personally don't like eggs, or cheese..  :smth087

Actually this topic is just what i needed!! I have researched the topic of conversation.. and there are many types of  vegetarianism. As well as 'Vegans'.
Just last night i had 'miso' soup for the first time.. it was really yummy!! with the wakame and shitake, added with  a seaweed GOMASIO ( sesame seeds, seaweed & sea salt )
the best soup i've ever had!!

I suppose the common idea of turning into a vegetarian is the source of the meat
( animal flesh) and where it comes from, and how it arrives on the table.
I hate walking into butchers' shops. I don't lke to know that an animal died for me to eat.
I would never have made it as a hunter in neanderthal times, hey?  ;)

Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

frog_s

I see,

well I guess it's quite easy now to get on with vegetarian (or vegan) recepies and such, not only because the use of Internet makes it easy to search for but also because it seems to be a little trend, I don't know where you live but it must be possible for you to get vegetarian cookbooks or however that's called. I actually asked one for my birthday ahahahah!

And for me the thing is also that you just dunno what's in the meat anymore these days, I once heared a butcher say that the ham you buy in the stores these days is only 20% real meat, the rest is just water and aromas and such, just like the wellknown chickennugget story. But I wouldn't mind sometimes to eat biologically produced meat or something IF I  liked it. (ow I can go on and on about this subject ahahaha)

Cheers

tigermilk

I have a few different vitamins every day to keep my iron intake normal. And I make a lot of salads. Risottos are nice to, chop up some veges to add like capsicum etc. I'm also really liking vege sausages and vege burgers. There is a section at my supermarket where I always go to get them. There's even turkey and bacon vege strips, I have never tried these because I don't like the taste of turkey or bacon, but apparently they taste pretty close. The vege sausages taste amazing though, and it's great eating something you knew didn't have a face or a heart.

Sandwiches, salads, vegetables, pastas, quiches... there's quiet a lot of options for vegetarians these days :)

.meat is murder.

scatcat

Quote from: tigermilk on March 22, 2008, 01:56:09
I have a few different vitamins every day to keep my iron intake normal.

Iron seems not to be a problem. I had his blood tested, and good levels of iron. :smth023

the main problem I have is protein and calcium, and of course, B12. ( no eggs)
he's also very skinny, like me, so weight issue is a problem, very fast metabolism.. there ain't many calories in a tomato!!

Quote from: tigermilk on March 22, 2008, 01:56:09

.meat is murder.

.. yes i agreee!! my son wants to be a vet now he's decided!! this all came about after i finally got him to watch "Gorillas in the Mist" .. he's watched it a few times and just cries.. and now he's reading Dian Fossey's biography.
I can't mention the word 'gorilla' , it upsets him too much.. :smth011
so I suppose it is all my fault really. I made him watch the movie, now he's all for animal rights, joined greenpeace and is trying to convert all his school friends to be vegans.. ( they didn't know jelly was made with gelatin- an animal by-product !!  :shock:)
now he won't eat jelly since i told him  :D  .. so yes, it's my fault  8)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life