I'm Cold

Started by crowbi_wan, January 08, 2008, 20:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Well, I'm really glad this topic came up, because I finally figured it out. This has something that's been puzzling me ever since I bought the Standing on a Beach cassette 15 years ago.  :smth017

The live version was really the key to the mystery here. Notice it's much faster and in a different key than the studio version.

Well, just speed the studio version up 5 semitones (2 1/2 steps) and what do you hear?  Exactly the same chords (and almost the same tempo) as the live versions!

The chords heard on the studio version are actually too low to be played on a guitar, so that's why I could never make sense of it.

So that's it:  The rhythm section on the studio version was recorded 5 semitones higher than than what we hear. That is, the rhythm guitar, bass, and drums were originally a lot faster.

Then just like Robert said, the song was slowed down 5 semitones, and the lead guitar and vocals were added this way.

In other words, if you play it at the original speed (5 semitones fast), the rhythm guitar, bass, and drums will sound completely normal - but the vocals and lead guitar will be crazy fast.

I'm 100% sure of it. Check it out for yourself.  :rocker

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on June 18, 2008, 08:51:56
So that's it:  The rhythm section on the studio version was recorded 5 semitones higher than than what we hear. That is, the rhythm guitar, bass, and drums were originally a lot faster.

Then just like Robert said, the song was slowed down 5 semitones, and the lead guitar and vocals were added this way.

well that's what i was originally thinking all the time: the backing instrumental track was slowed down, then lead guitar and vocals added.

when you said there are notes that too low to be played with guitar, i thought you meant that the lead guitar part has such notes (i was too lazy to checkl myself, i confess...). but you meant the rhythm guitar, not the rhythm guitar i suppose?

anyway, what you are describing there is exactly what i meant all the time, in my original post... ;)

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 18, 2008, 18:22:27when you said there are notes that too low to be played with guitar, i thought you meant that the lead guitar part has such notes (i was too lazy to checkl myself, i confess...). but you meant the rhythm guitar, not the rhythm guitar i suppose?

Well, I was initially saying the lead guitar would have been impossible, because I thought I read somewhere that the song was slowed down to exactly half.

If the rhythm tracks were slowed down by 8 semitones or more (it was only 5 in actuality), the current lead guitar as it is would have been impossible to do without detuning some strings or using a baritone guitar.

But yes, the rhythm guitar as heard on the final studio mix is outside of the normal register of a guitar by a few steps.

And just to sum things up, everything was played in normal tuning for this song. The rhythm was played in the key of B minor (natural, to be precise), and the lead was done in F# minor - all on a standardly tuned guitar.

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 18, 2008, 18:22:27anyway, what you are describing there is exactly what i meant all the time, in my original post... ;)

Yes, you were right. However, without any specific evidence, I was hesitant to believe it.

But now I have proof - so thanks to both of us, I guess.  8)

mahood

i always thought that vocals only were sung in the "right" speed, after all instrumental parts had been slowed down --- now i understand how this song sounds so peculiar.
always a favorite of mine, both studio & live.

not 100% sure about this, but i remember some interview when RS said siouxsie & co. (severin i guess) thought i'm cold was one of their best song so far, and how the cure should follow that musical path.
it was before 17 seconds, and after SATB released the scream, and maybe join hands.

oh, and listen to these 2 albums, then you will definitely hear siouxsie's voice in i'm cold. although i have to say it took me some time to hear her too.
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons