The Cure Pilgrim Route

Started by dsanchez, August 10, 2018, 21:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

chemicaloverload

Quote from: dsanchez on August 15, 2018, 15:01:09
Quote from: chemicaloverload on August 13, 2018, 23:31:32
Can you imagine this, a pilgrimage of sorts  :D Hire a wee mini bus, get you a little red jacket, we'd be good to go  :lol:

seriously considering this...renting a bus or somehow arranging the whole thing (most of the places are very close, so I don't think transport will be an issue). we should plan this carefully, maybe for next year we can end the trip in a Cure show!

Oh hell yes. If it can be done, I'm in!
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

desintegration

Quote from: dsanchez on August 15, 2018, 15:01:09
Quote from: chemicaloverload on August 13, 2018, 23:31:32
Can you imagine this, a pilgrimage of sorts  :D Hire a wee mini bus, get you a little red jacket, we'd be good to go  :lol:

seriously considering this...renting a bus or somehow arranging the whole thing (most of the places are very close, so I don't think transport will be an issue). we should plan this carefully, maybe for next year we can end the trip in a Cure show!
This would be amazing, maybe during their next tour when they have the uk dates? :o

chemicaloverload

It should end in Beachy Head. Where we can eat fish and chips and have an ice cream, look out on to the sea. I feel like this should be made into a camping trip, a road trip
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

dsanchez

Crawley's landmarks (please let us know if we're missing any). For details check http://bit.ly/TheCurePlaces

Railway
Worth Park
St Wilfrid's Catholic Comprehensive Secondary School
Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Primary School
Memorial Gardens
Lol Tolhurst Bridge - this is not the official name of the bridge by the way :)
Worth Abbey
Furnace Green
Queens Square
St Edward the Confessor
Smith & Western
Northgate Community Centre
Crawley College
The Montefiore Institute
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

piggymirror

Shouldn't you add Blackpool? Robert was born there, after all.

sandgrounder

Quote from: chemicaloverload on August 16, 2018, 22:26:16It should end in Beachy Head. Where we can eat fish and chips and have an ice cream, look out on to the sea. I feel like this should be made into a camping trip, a road trip

And then all climb inside a wardrobe and throw ourselves over the cliff edge.
Was this trip ever organised?

dsanchez

Quote from: sandgrounder on April 17, 2020, 22:24:12And then all climb inside a wardrobe and throw ourselves over the cliff edge.
Was this trip ever organised?

No, but let's plan it for 2021 perhaps? @chemicaloverload what time of the year do you think is the best?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: dsanchez on October 30, 2018, 12:28:50Worth Abbey

Just found out Robert also got married at this place!

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tzare

I'd love to visit some of the places for sure. Especially some of the ones appearing in their video clips.
But also, stealthy, visiting where the members live, just to know a bit more about their ordinary life

dsanchez

Quote from: tzare on April 18, 2020, 22:19:57I'd love to visit some of the places for sure. Especially some of the ones appearing in their video clips.
But also, stealthy, visiting where the members live, just to know a bit more about their ordinary life

Pilgrim route is for the places related to the band's history... Going to where the members live is out of scope (and personally I don't think is good idea - not to mention I have no clue where they live)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

sandgrounder

Quote from: dsanchez on April 19, 2020, 00:26:47
Quote from: tzare on April 18, 2020, 22:19:57I'd love to visit some of the places for sure. Especially some of the ones appearing in their video clips.

Pilgrim route is for the places related to the band's history... Going to where the members live is out of scope (and personally I don't think is good idea - not to mention I have no clue where they live)

I know where Robert now lives but such personal information should never be posted on forums. With regards to a tour of key Cure landmarks, some of them may leave you disappointed. 'The Rocket (Railway)' pub is now unrecognisable from the 1970's and will have no "feel" of The Cure. The 'Hope & Anchor' pub in North London may be a more authentic venue.

Also, visiting their former schools during term-time would be unadvisable for obvious reasons.

The Post Office where Robert worked at for a few days is still in Crawley but I believe that the plastics factory where Simon worked has been closed for many years.

Blackpool, Robert's birthplace, is a town you will either love or hate, and Crawley known for being a boring town.

Unlike the former homes of The Beatles in Liverpool which have been turned into museums (and The Cavern has been re-created at a different address), the childhood homes of The Cure are regular houses.

A tour would still be fun though

dsanchez

Quote from: sandgrounder on April 20, 2020, 10:38:09The Post Office where Robert worked at for a few days is still in Crawley but I believe that the plastics factory where Simon worked has been closed for many years.

Is this one? https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder/1789120/crawley if yes, I will add it to the landmarks :)

Quote from: sandgrounder on April 20, 2020, 10:38:09A tour would still be fun though

Would like to plan this for next year if there's people interested.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

sandgrounder

I think it may be this one -
Crawley Royal Mail Delivery Office | Sorting Office | Post Office Collections

Crawley Delivery Office, 7 The Boulevard

Crawley

West Sussex

RH10 1AA

dsanchez

Adding one more place to the list: Horley's King Pub:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Adding Brighton Electric Studios to the route. This is a studio where The Cure has rehearsed in recent years.

https://brightonelectric.co.uk/clients/
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo