always you
a smile to hide the fear away
oh! smear this man across the walls
like strawberries and cream
it's the only way to be

exactly the same clean room
exactly the same clean bed
but i've stayed away too long this time
and i've got too big to fit this time...

Would like to know what he means in every sentence, and anything related to the lyrics of this amazing song.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

nausearockpig

I read somewhere that it's about a train ride Robert had... is this correct?

riseandreverberate

I think he once introduced it (possibly on the 'Cure In Orange' video) as a song about 'I used to wear a dress and travel on a train'. To me though, it's about a bad relationship, possibly incestuous/abusive/manipulative or just one that should be over but isn't because he won't let it and she isn't strong enough to end it.

I don't think that the majority songs have one single definitive meaning. They mean different things to different people and are always open to different interpretations depending on the individual's own situation/state of mind or experiences in general.

dsanchez

what really catchs me is the sentence

"like strawberries and cream...it's the only way to be"

What can be the meaning of this?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Dillinger

strawberries and cream are two foods that go very well together and are considered to be a very british food, for example wimbledon tennis tournament is famous for its strawberries and cream. the line simply means that it goes together perfect like strawberries and cream :D

i agree with rise... though, ive always seen it as a song about a bad relationship although ive heard about the whole dress thing as well

Descent

In Cleveland'85, Robert introduces the songs saying it's "about being a girl". So I'm not sure if he means something quite "male chauvinist". :lol:

danny999911

Basically every live recording I have of this Robert introduces it saying it's about being a girl. Strange, as he doesn't normally introduce songs that much.

wish-man

How you sometimes irrationally hate other people just because they're there.  (Ten Imaginary Years - 1988)

A train journey home. (Curenews - 1991)

About being a girl. (Cleveland 1985 live concert)

Thanks to one of my fave websites www.impressionofsounds.com

IMO the straight meaning of the song is advice to a girl about her current bf ("push him away...don't let him stay...")

("oh! smear this man across the walls like strawberries and cream... it's the only way to be") I always meant this phrase as famous "I want to smash you to pieces! I want to smash you up and screaming! I want to smash you helpless! Down on the floor! Smash you until you're not here anymore!"
So I think its about smashing someone's face  :D

It's very nice when you try to find the deep sense in poetry, but at the same time it seems pointless when the lyrics are pretty obvious :roll:

Nobody can answer as much clearer as Robert (as he is the author). People interpret it in their own way i.e. everyone see it differently and compare to his/her life experience in situation that described in the song.  ;)
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

Birdmad Guy

That line makes me think of "kill them with kindness". 

To me it's about a person who has been feeling bullied and has had enough and won't take it anymore. 

Great song, from my favorite Album by them.  The music reminds me of can can music.

Ulrich

Quote from: wish-man on September 10, 2010, 16:49:53
("oh! smear this man across the walls like strawberries and cream... it's the only way to be") I always meant this phrase as famous "I want to smash you to pieces!..."

I can't help agreeing with you here, I always thought this line was about hating someone... (this theory fits to the rest of the song: "push HIM away... don't let HIM stay").
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

Quote from: Ikissedyoursmile on June 23, 2013, 05:38:17
Oh i forgot to write who i think hes talking now...Pearl aka Porl.

Sorry, I can't agree with you here. This song was released in 1985!!! How should RS have known Porl would mutate into Pearl 25+ years later?  :?

Btw, in the book "10 Imaginary Years" it is mentioned the song was about how "you irrationally hate people just because they're there" or something along these lines!

Ulrich

I don't think so.

exactly the same clean room
exactly the same clean bed
but i've stayed away too long this time
and i've got too big to fit this time...

Edit: the post I was referring to has disappeared, so I deleted most of my text, as it seemed confusing without the context.

Ikissedyoursmile

Ulrich

Quote from: Ikissedyoursmile on June 25, 2013, 18:35:18
Im sorry i shouldnt be here

Huh, why? Because I dared to question your theory? I did not say you're wrong. It's just my opinion, my own theory (see further above) is based on the lyrics and a bio book (Robert Smith was involved in this), that's why in my eyes your theory was based on thin facts. Doesn't mean you have to agree with my point of view!

Btw, here you can find more theories:
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/7548/
Some are quite interesting:
QuoteThe beauty of this song is its lack of clear meaning...

QuoteI think it is about a couple separated by distance, and now that the man has returned home, the woman is pushing him away. (...) he acknowledges he changed, as he "got too big" for his old life (while on tour in a rock band maybe....hmmm).

I always think of it as a psychological abstraction of an abusive relationship, which the victim is still haunted by.

You see, there are many theories out there, doesn't mean that mine or yours are better or worse.  :)

dsanchez

Quote from: Ikissedyoursmile on June 25, 2013, 18:35:18
Im sorry i shouldnt be here

what happened? I didn't see anything unpolite in Ulrich's answers :)

there are different opinions on this song's meaning. If this helps, Robert sometimes used this line to introduce the song: "This is a song about when I used to wear a dress and travel on train".

not really sure Push has something to do with Porl/Pearl.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo