What do you think of Lol?

Started by Dillinger, April 14, 2007, 17:05:27

Previous topic - Next topic

rjl

And it could be worse - he could be Shane McGowan (google image search, any of the results... third row is the worst).

Although I have not heard him recently, he supposedly he still "has it". And by "it", I do not mean a full set of gleaming white teeth, but rather his voice, his ability to perform, etc, etc.

japanesebaby

Quote from: rjl on April 18, 2007, 00:33:19
And it could be worse - he could be Shane McGowan (google image search, any of the results... third row is the worst).

...or again, youtube can be your friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0xSNrFXacM

a jolly good fellow!  :smth100
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Dillinger

yes, it is a shame that the cure will not get the full recognition they deserve until robert is dead  (sorry to be blunt but its the sad truth)

Bloodflower

Upon Robert's death, everything will be reevaluated. My life will be reevaluated....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Oso Blanco

Quote from: splitmilk34 on April 17, 2007, 14:09:09
Morrissey has AGED better than Robert, but his music is unlistenable drivel.

The last two Morrissey albums were better than anything The Cure have done in the last then years.

Quote from: Janko on April 17, 2007, 22:53:55
I LIKE THEM BOTH ALMOST EQUALLY AND I HOPE THEY WILL WORK UNTIL THEY DIE!

I used to like them equally, but it's clear to me now that Morrissey has won.

Quote from: Janko on April 17, 2007, 22:53:55
AND IT IS INTERESTIG HOW SLOWLY BUT SURELY BOTH MORRISSEY AND MARK E. SMITH BECAME BRITISH ICONS WHILE ROBERT STILL DOESNT GET THE MENTION...

I think that RS used to be a British Icon as well, but he is fading away and is slowly becoming an embarrasment to Britain. I mean, he looks like a silly clown and his music becomes more and more boring and uninspired. Not to mention that RS as a person doesn't have any charisma left whatsoever. Maybe that's what you get for drug abuse: To shine bright and then burn out. I honestly don't think that The Cure will ever be able to make a truly outstanding album that makes people go "Wow!".

Now, take a look at Morrissey. He came back with a bang after seven years of silence. He put out two great albums within two years (not counting a live album and a live dvd). He did some incredible live shows and is still touring, and his shows are always a memorable experience. The audience is alive and is celebrating him, while the Cure audience seems to be mostly bored. Morrissey still has that magic that RS lost a long time ago.

I just hope that RS will never take off his shirt to throw it into the audience, that's the last ting I want to see *shudder*.
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

Oso Blanco

Quote from: Bloodflower on April 18, 2007, 06:09:15
Upon Robert's death, everything will be reevaluated. My life will be reevaluated....

Maybe then we'll get all the demos and the unreleased stuff that should have been on the deluxe editions instead of the "live bootlegs".

japanesebaby

Quote from: Oso Blanco on April 18, 2007, 09:22:12
Now, take a look at Morrissey. He came back with a bang after seven years of silence. He put out two great albums within two years (not counting a live album and a live dvd). He did some incredible live shows and is still touring, and his shows are always a memorable experience. The audience is alive and is celebrating him, while the Cure audience seems to be mostly bored. Morrissey still has that magic that RS lost a long time ago.

honestly to me, morrissey's as boring and as arrogant as he always was. his musical output compared to the smiths - johnny marr was where the one there with something to say musically. the smiths had something to say, even though morrissey was already ruining a lot of it.
he's totally impossible to watch/listen as a live performer.

about audiences "celebrating" morrissey: hmm. just when was such a "surface" reaction in the audience something that could be used as a direct measuring tool for the quality or the performance? all kinds of silly bands have fanatic followers but that doesn't mean they were worth shit. a lot of indie rock groups have extremely intense audiences, yet nothing's really happening there in the crowds after all. when you look at it from the outside it might look like everyone's just standing there "being bored" - but go there yourself and you should notice the difference, the intensity's there.
different artists have different udiences. i guess morrissey's persona appeals to a lot of people who like to adore someone who's openly highly narcistic and takes his (imagined) superiority as a fact. and nothing bad in that, whoever likes it may like it, i don't mind.  i on the other hand don't see anything universally adorable or extremely entertaining and memorable on his live performances.

i've been in a few recent cure audiences and i wouldn't actually say people were being bored. it looked kind of contrary to me.
and whereas the cure still reaches a lot of new younger fans, it's a fact that their audiences have matured and aged. maybe their audience now consist more of people who don't have to jump around, go stagediving or be throwing knickers on stage or whatever. but that doesn't mean they weren't truly and intensely enjoying the show or that they were bored.

moreover, the cure/RS never acted like complete clowns like morrissey. sure, a 50-year old guy in make-up looks kinda weird - but so what? just like i can't be interested in RS the man or details of his personal life i don't really care how he decides to look like. the attitude towards one's work is what matters to me. on live shows i appreciate it that there's no narcistic fooling around catwalk kind of "ah, me!!" stuff taking place there but concentrate on playing the songs.
RS is not a clown on the inside, like morrissey more or less always is/was and wanted to be.

I just hope that RS will never take off his shirt to throw it into the audience, that's the last ting I want to see *shudder*.

:?: why should you fear that? or hehe maybe you secretly wish to see it because you even mention it. :)

anyway, i'd rather watch a poor ugly old shirtless robert on stage (although that would surely be dead-ugly hehehe! :lol:) just because he still doesn't try to pretend or act he's something he's not when he's there on stage - compared to geeks like that pelvis-swinging conceited clown called morrissey for instance. or all those millions of other geeks out there who think they are so very interesting just because they have a slogan for life like "everybody look at me, i am me, i'm here, i'm so great, it's so great to be me, me me meeeee". christ!
:smth001

I honestly don't think that The Cure will ever be able to make a truly outstanding album that makes people go "Wow!".

yes, maybe not. but to be honest: so what?
i actually find it very hard to believe either, i'm sure they've well way past their heyday now. but i don't have to feel frustrated over it, it really doesn't matter. it doesn't change or diminish anything they did earlier or undo all the good stuff they (obviously) gave us.
and why should they have to be accused in advance for "probably never making a truly outstanding album again" anyway?
let's wait and listen to it first. maybe it's carp, who knows - but so what. :)

I think that RS used to be a British Icon as well, but he is fading away and is slowly becoming an embarrasment to Britain. I mean, he looks like a silly clown and his music becomes more and more boring and uninspired. Not to mention that RS as a person doesn't have any charisma left whatsoever. Maybe that's what you get for drug abuse: To shine bright and then burn out.

for me, one of the first artists that come to mind when i think of the word 'embarrassing' is definitely mr. morrissey, not RS.
strange, no? i guess.

anyway, i'm sorry to notice it if you really seem to feel so bad about the cure these days. and i'm really not sure what you expect any of us to say to it.
and don't take this as an offense (because it isn't meant to be one), but maybe it's time to move on to a morrissey forum then?
would simply sound like a lot less frustration to me, i guess.

splitmilk34

Well, japanesebaby basically said everything I was going to, so...
let's just remember that this is CUREFANS.COM, not BLOW-MORRISSEY.COM.  Sorry you feel so down about the band Oso, but I don't think they need to make another life altering record ... and can you honestly tell me that the last Cure album, along with all of the BSides, didn't have any interesting moments?  In my opinion, songs like Lost, Going Nowhere, The Promise, This Morning, Why Can't I Be Me?, and alt.end are among some of the better Cure songs. 
Anyway, we've all gotten away from the original thread here (which was about Lol Tolhurst) so if this discussion must rage on we can start a new "Robert vs The World" thread or something.
"... sleeping less every night"

Oso Blanco

Quote from: splitmilk34 on April 18, 2007, 15:05:05I don't think they need to make another life altering record ...

Then why make a new record at all?

Quoteand can you honestly tell me that the last Cure album, along with all of the BSides, didn't have any interesting moments?  In my opinion, songs like Lost, Going Nowhere, The Promise, This Morning, Why Can't I Be Me?, and alt.end are among some of the better Cure songs.

The last album was average at best. This Morning and Why Can't I Be You were annoying and The Promise must be the worst Cure song ever. Alt.End and Taking Off were okay, but nothing special at all.

Not only was the music completely spiritless, but the lyrics were meaningless as well. Think about Morrissey as you wish, you don't HAVE to like him. But at least still he has something to say. RS on the other hand is putting the new album on hold because of a writers blockade! If he has nothing to say, why doesn't he make it an instrumental album? Could be a much better album ... at least the last album would have been a lot better without his vocals.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Oso Blanco on April 18, 2007, 19:46:41
Quote from: splitmilk34 on April 18, 2007, 15:05:05I don't think they need to make another life altering record ...

Then why make a new record at all?

hmm yes of course. why bother. well, why do we do all the things we do in our lives? why are we here on this forum? etc.

i don't think RS or any other artist who are at the same point of career as he is really cares about what we think or whether or not we demand him to make a new album or not to make one. he'll make an album if he feels like it and it serves some purpose for him. artists are not waiters carrying food on our table when we happen to order a bite.

and why make an album if it's not going to be mind-altering? well i'm sure no artist ever especially tries to make a crap album. i'd like to think they try to do their best. sometimes they manage, sometimes they fail miserably. but only in business worlg there's this illusion that the economy can grow and grow and grow infinitely - it's almost sweet how they blindly seem to believe so in those circles. everyone with some brains knows that's impossible: you can't just grow and grow and grow all the time without crashing a bit (or more) every once in a while. that's only natural. so, an artist about to create art cannot think: "oooh maybe i won't make this after all, maybe it comes out all crap... maybe it's better to shut up, just to make sure". one has to take the risks, and boldly go... even if one fails. a negative attitude won't take it anywhere.

The last album was average at best.
yes i actually agree that i wasn't overly overwhelmed by it either. yet it certainly had it's moments. there are things that i have since become very fond of and which also work like all the good cure-songs always did: they remind me of certain passages and times and places of my own life. and some of them are even good pieces of music at the same time. :)
it could have been better, it could have been worse. for me, that's it - let's wait for the next one.

Not only was the music completely spiritless, but the lyrics were meaningless as well. Think about Morrissey as you wish, you don't HAVE to like him. But at least still he has something to say. RS on the other hand is putting the new album on hold because of a writers blockade! If he has nothing to say, why doesn't he make it an instrumental album? Could be a much better album ... at least the last album would have been a lot better without his vocals.
yes sure, i don't have to like morrissey, just as you don't have to like the cure anymore, right? mmmm.... i mean, where's the fuss?

just a few points: personally, i haven't found that morrissey really has anything much to say. certainly less than the cure.
i guess i could write an essay about it and give good reasoning for a lot of my opinions (if i may say so without sounding pompous), but let's leave it for now.

and robert's writing block.... well, "you can't order the rooster to crow" like they say. it'll crow if it'll crow and that's it.
does he have anything to say anymore? i don't know yet. why doesn't he make an instrumental album? well maybe he ends up doing it, who knows. i mean, since we don't know anything about it yet so what's the point of making assumptions about how this or that things is already completely wrong and how they already failed - they haven't done anything just yet! 
maybe RS makes a dead-boring album. maybe he surprises us all and makes something marvellous. who can tell?
our ranting about some speculations won't certainly accelerate the process... so why worry about it, there are other things that are hurting our blood pressure on a daily basis anyway.
let's rant about it when we have something to rant about! :-)

but hey: how's LOL doing?? ;)
let's talk about him, this is his thread!

rjl

Tangentally related to Lol, I always thought that it would be really cool for a handful of the "ex-Cure's" to work together, even if just to play drawn-out live instrumentals. Their time in the Cure has certainly given them enough practice, and allowed them to develop and pick up all sorts of neat tricks.

Although, now that Porl is back in the Cure, that idea has dropped a few notches on the "cool-o-meter". It's still up there with "Slash, Duff & Izzy re-record 'Appetite for Destruction' with Barry Gibb", although for entirely different reasons.

Bloodflower

Oso, if you really think the Cure so empty and artistically bankrupt, then what are you doing here? Go to a Moz forum if you like him and not The Cure anymore, but I don't see where you get off bashing them.

If you really disliked the last album, then what were you doing here in the first place? Curefans.com was launched after The Cure's 2004 LP. If you've got no purpose here but to whine on and on.... Ah, and now I understand why you like Morrissey.

Sorry, really do want to get back to Lol, but I couldn't pass this up... it's too patently ridiculous....

Mr Tolhurt, to you I yield the floor....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Janko

1) HEY, WHAT DOES BANANARAMA TAG MEAN?!

2) PRAISING MORRISSEY DOESNT MEAN BASHING ROBERT!

3) BRITISH ICON SMITH:

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

rjl

Bananarama = There was a HOTD-era TV appearance where the band was doing one of those playback/mime performances. Bananarama was also on the bill. On their second song, the band shows that they are clearly drunk as Robert is VERY half-heartedly lip-synching and playing (I think he had an acoustic with him), and Simon is dancing with one of the girls from Bananarama.

If memory serves, Lol was still trying his best to look as if he was playing the keyboards.

And had unfortunate hair.

Oso Blanco

Quote from: rjl on April 18, 2007, 20:33:53
Tangentally related to Lol, I always thought that it would be really cool for a handful of the "ex-Cure's" to work together, even if just to play drawn-out live instrumentals. Their time in the Cure has certainly given them enough practice, and allowed them to develop and pick up all sorts of neat tricks.

Now, that would be a GREAT idea! Put Boris or even Andy in that band, and The Cure would have a real drummer again!

Although, now that Porl is back in the Cure, that idea has dropped a few notches on the "cool-o-meter".

Yes, without Porl something important would be missing.

It's still up there with "Slash, Duff & Izzy re-record 'Appetite for Destruction' with Barry Gibb", although for entirely different reasons.

They don't really, do they?