Previous topic - Next topic

Tricky question: Porl or Boris?

I would prefer Porl out of the band if Boris is coming back
5 (50%)
Not, Porl is very important in The Cure, I couldn't let him go
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

dsanchez

A recent crazy rumour states that Porl might be out of The Cure. If that was the case, and you would have the "power" to put Boris back in the band, what would you decide?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

ofthedeepgreensea

tricky.

i think for me, it'd depend on who (if anyone at all) is coming in to replace porl on guitar.  i don't think boris back is worth having some random auditioned guy on guitar.  this late in their career, i just don't want entirely new cure members.

although, if say, perry (veryy unlikely) were to return, i'd be content losing porl to get boris back, although i do think porl is the better guitarist.

ahh all this is nerve-wracking.
"it's just the way i smile," you said..

Janko

Mind you, one thing people always forget when they want Jason out and Boris in.

Boris Williams is 57 years old, I really doubt he's interested in playing in The Cure, or playing many of those songs...

I personally would lose respect I have for him if he returned to play Boys don't cry at his age...

:D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

rjl

Porl or Boris? Apple or oranges? :)

That said, I sincerely hope that Porl didn't leave again...

fiction

I was doing some thinking yesterday (yes I do, occationally) about the Cure and I came to one HUGE conclusion and that was that The Cure did an outreagously kickstart as an album provider. I think that the series of their first four albums is unbeatable. The Cure (and other bands) have released some separate albums that reached this high level but never ever again in history will The Cure (or any other bands) release four consecutive albums of such immaculate standard and greatness. Saying that and still thinking that The Cures peak as a live act was 1984/1985 I think that I would probably very much have them both in the band but that it doesn´t matter any more. The time for such gems is over.
again and again and again and again and again and...

japanesebaby

sorry, i don't understand the voting options. i mean:

I would prefer Porl out of the band if Boris is coming back

so you mean that porl would be out, boris back in - AND jason would still be there too? two drummers?  :smth017 why?
shouldn't it say jason out - boris in or something? i don't understand what porl's possible leaving the band would have to do with boris, sorry.
sorry it's pretty impossible to vote when these options are tied together like this, one against the other. maybe add a third option like "porl should stay and boris should come back too" or something.

my dream lie-up would definitely include BOTH boris and porl - but i'm very certain the days when that could have happened are long gone now.
i don't think boris will ever come back. but that doesn't mean jason should stay there until the end of the world. i wish they did get s decent drummer before they stop.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 15, 2010, 18:07:23
so you mean that porl would be out, boris back in - AND jason would still be there too? two drummers?  :smth017 why?

:?

of course is Boris is back, Jason is out. I thought this was not necessary to explain in the question...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quotesorry it's pretty impossible to vote when these options are tied together like this, one against the other. maybe add a third option like "porl should stay and boris should come back too" or something.

If I would add that option everyone's answer would be pretty obvious. That's why I put it like it's now.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Trust...

I like Porl, I don't want to see him replaced  :?
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

crowbi_wan

Tricky question indeed.   :smth017  I don't really care for the options here.  Kind of on the same thinking as jb's post.  Sorry, but one thing really has nothing to do with one another unless something like Jason saying he'd quit if Porl was no longer in the band or one of the two drummers now in "this" line-up switched to guitar or keyboards.  But then you say Jason is out, so that second line of thinking isn't valid.  And they still need a replacement for Porl, right?  How about an option like Porl out, Jason out, Boris in, new guitarist and/or keyboardist in?  That option would fill the void left by Porl.  Given the choices here I ended up voting for Porl, though I wouldn't mind seeing him leave if his absence was will by someone who could play guitar and keys.  Boris replacing Jason would be the icing on the cake.    

In any case, why are people suspecting Porl may have quit?  This flux comment?  I naturally assumed Robert was referring to their record company, or lack there of.    

ofthedeepgreensea

dsanchez, i thought the question made perfect sense :)

i've been thinking about it more, and i think i might cast my vote for boris.  because i like boris more than i like porl.

though.. it's still so hard!  because i don't want a three piece.. and i don't want some random guy coming in for porl..

i hope we find answers to all these questions soon enough.
"it's just the way i smile," you said..

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on January 16, 2010, 03:16:16
n any case, why are people suspecting Porl may have quit?  This flux comment?  I naturally assumed Robert was referring to their record company, or lack there of.    

a good question. where did this "rumour" even originate? maybe some porl-hater just thought it out loud and people took it seriously?

it could very well refer to the record company issues too. or, if it does have something to do with some line-up changes, then what exactly was this/where does that quote originate?:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,6559.msg67909.html#msg67909

was roger really referring to a possible third round in the cure there?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 16, 2010, 22:22:05a good question. where did this "rumour" even originate?

Janko's fault :-D
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo