Q magazine: 10 most perfect song ever (or..?)

Started by japanesebaby, September 26, 2007, 12:34:33

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

the latest "songwriters issue" of the Q magazine listed "10 most perfect songs ever", voted by "Britain's 50 top songwriters" (whatever that means...). the results:

01. Jeff Buckley : Hallelujah (Grace)
02. The Beatles : Strawberry Fields Forever (Magical Mystery Tour)
03. David Bowie : Live On Mars ? (Hunky Dory)
04. The Rolling Stones : Sympathy For The Devil (Beggars Banquet)
05. Billie Holiday : Strange Fruit (Retrospective)
06. The Verve : Bitter Sweet Symphony (Urban Hymns)
07. Bruce Springsteen : Born To Run (Born To Run)
08. The Beach Boys : God Only Knows (Pet Sounds)
09. Bob Dylan : Blowin' In The Wind (The Freewheelin')
10. Lou Reed : Perfect Day (Transformer)

i was personally very delighted to see jeff buckley on the top spot (and for beating the damn beatles!  :rocker).
although the credit should also go to leonard cohen i guess - if this was about songwriting and not just about performance.
anyway, jeff's performance is an absolute killer so no complaints.
however, i can't but wonder what things like ehhm... 'bitter sweet symphony' by the verve are doing there - hello....?
and well ok any kind of polls like this are always pretty boring imo - if it proves something it proves people probably feel obliged to vote for a certain old classic year after year after year. i guess so.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 26, 2007, 12:34:33
the latest "songwriters issue" of the Q magazine listed "10 most perfect songs ever", voted by "Britain's 50 top songwriters" (whatever that means...). the results:

01. Jeff Buckley : Hallelujah (Grace)
02. The Beatles : Strawberry Fields Forever (Magical Mystery Tour)
03. David Bowie : Live On Mars ? (Hunky Dory)
04. The Rolling Stones : Sympathy For The Devil (Beggars Banquet)
05. Billie Holiday : Strange Fruit (Retrospective)
06. The Verve : Bitter Sweet Symphony (Urban Hymns)
07. Bruce Springsteen : Born To Run (Born To Run)
08. The Beach Boys : God Only Knows (Pet Sounds)
09. Bob Dylan : Blowin' In The Wind (The Freewheelin')
10. Lou Reed : Perfect Day (Transformer)

i was personally very delighted to see jeff buckley on the top spot (and for beating the damn beatles!  :rocker).
although the credit should also go to leonard cohen i guess - if this was about songwriting and not just about performance.
anyway, jeff's performance is an absolute killer so no complaints.
however, i can't but wonder what things like ehhm... 'bitter sweet symphony' by the verve are doing there - hello....?
and well ok any kind of polls like this are always pretty boring imo - if it proves something it proves people probably feel obliged to vote for a certain old classic year after year after year. i guess so.

I SAW MANY CRAP LISTS BUT THIS ONE REALLY MAKES ME VIOLENTLY ANGRY...
THESE PEOPLE AT Q REALLY HAVE TOO MUCH FREE TIME ON THEIR HANDS!
AND THEY ARE ALL OUT OF IDEAS!
:smth011
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Cure Freak

japanesebaby

say no more janko. i wonder how they even managed to put together such a BORING list.
nothing inspirational in it, not a bit - so why the hell even publish it? i really wonder who their "50 top songwriters" who contributed to the list are!
(i mean how can anybody list anything from the rolling stones there? god it's in 2007! so please...)

Carnage Visor

That list is like watching paint dry. Who put it together? A lonely fat old man?

That is the lamest song list ever, and to consider those the greatest songs ever is a disgrace to music. If I rewrote that list, it would include a LOT more 1980s post-punk and goth...AKA good music (IMO)

But come on...Hallelujah? What a lame-ass~!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Carnage Visor on September 26, 2007, 21:22:45
That list is like watching paint dry. Who put it together? A lonely fat old man?

That is the lamest song list ever, and to consider those the greatest songs ever is a disgrace to music. If I rewrote that list, it would include a LOT more 1980s post-punk and goth...AKA good music (IMO)

But come on...Hallelujah? What a lame-ass~!

i guess it was put together by 50 lonely fat old british TOP songwriters.  :lol:

hallelujah performed by jeff b. is awesome, i stick to my conviction  there. and like i said, i was just happy to see ANYTHING beat the damn beatles (because i was afraid they'd be all over the place,t kaing 7 out of 10 positions "just because they are the beatles" - i always hate that! ppfff!) yet to be honest, maybe i don't really understand what 'hallelujah' is doing up there, considering this is a songwriters list - i'd understand it very well if it was about rating performances - but songwriting?
so i'm left thinkin that those 50 lonely guys would have needed some serious help...  :smth100

(thank god i never buy Q mag anymore!!! last time i did i got so pissed for wasting 8 euros for that crap!)