Hypnagogic States (the september EP)

Started by [labyrinth], July 24, 2008, 18:19:51

Previous topic - Next topic

nausearockpig

For Brisbane fans, this is available at Rocking Horse Records now [12 September 2008]!

$8.95

It's not on iTunes Aus yet though...

Lostflowerboy

After a few listens I have to say that it's by far better than expected.

1. The Only One [Remix 4 by 30 Seconds to Mars]
Very different than the Mix13, but still definitely with a Cure touch (6 string bass, acoustic rhythmguitar). 6/10

2. Freakshow [Wolves at the Gate Remix]
Strange EBM/Eurodance mix. 1/10

3. Sleep When I'm Dead [Remix 4 by Gerard Way]
The electric sounds fits well to the song, in a way that the aggression of the vocals are reflected in the music way better than in the "soft" Mix13. I like it.
7/10

4. Perfect Boy [Remix 4 by Patrick Stump]
Nice to hear that "Why can't I be you" -like beat added. Interesting approach to change the chord progression, makes it almost a different song. Definitely my favourite Cure remix in 16 years. 8/10 

5. Exploding Head Syndrome [4 Single Remix by 65] 
I'm not into this up til now. Maybe it will grow, but for the time being rather disappointing.

nausearockpig

Mixed Up II anyone? Or maybe Mixed Up for the year 2008..

Remember that there's that other remix of The Only One that's apparently only available as an iTunes "exclusive"...

tigermilk

It's on the Australian iTunes at $16.95, what a rip off!!

nausearockpig

Quote from: tigermilk on September 13, 2008, 09:02:07

What???? you're kidding? gotta check this shit out.. 65DOS did say on their website that maybe we could give the Red X the money and just get the file from torrent sites...

japanesebaby

Quote from: nausearockpig on September 13, 2008, 10:41:41
65DOS did say on their website that maybe we could give the Red X the money and just get the file from torrent sites...

good thinking. or perhaps jared leto & friends could donate a couple of millions for us all?  :-D

not that i'm bothered by it but the release date around here seems to be not until 17th by the way.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Bloodflower

Quote from: tigermilk on September 13, 2008, 09:02:07

Robert's got your back:

ITUNES UK HYPNAGOGIC NONSENSE

9/12/2008 7:15:36 PM - by CURE:ROBERT

PLEASE DONT BUY HYPNAGOGIC STATES EP FROM ITUNES FOR £7.99

IT IS ABSURD!

TMU HAS MANAGED TO f*ck THIS UP TO ANOTHER LEVEL!

MY EMAIL TO THEM TODAY IS BELOW
ITS EASIER THAN WRITING IT OUT AGAIN NICELY...
(THOSE OFFENDED BY COLOURFUL LANGUAGE LOOK AWAY NOW)

>

DEAR...

I f*cking DESPAIR
AGAIN

HYPNAGOGIC STATES EP IS NOW UP ON UK ITUNES...

5 TRACKS FOR £7.99?
FOR FUCKS SAKE!

AND THE PACKAGE IS COMPLETEY MISSING THE EXTRA BONUS TRACK (65DOS ALT REMIX OF "THE ONLY ONE")

SO
YOU CAN BUY THE FOUR REMIXES BY 30STM/AFI/MCR/FOB INDIVIDUALLY FOR 79P EACH...

BUT YOU ONLY GET THE 65DOS "EXPLODING HEAD SYNDROME" REMIX OF ALL FOUR SINGLES IF YOU PAY £7.99 FOR "THE ALBUM"...

IE YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO PAY £4.83 FOR THE 65DOS REMIX... !!!
WHO THE f*ck IS GOING TO PAY THIS AND NOT FEEL TOTALLY RIPPED OFF?

IT'S NOT A f*cking ALBUM!
IT'S A 5 TRACK EP
AND YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET AN EXTRA FREE TRACK (THE 65DOS REMIX OF "THE ONLY ONE") IF YOU BUY IT AS A 5 TRACK EP
AND ITS SUPPOSED TO COST LESS IF YOU BUY IT AS A 5 TRACK EP THAN IF YOU BUY THE 5 TRACKS INDIVIDUALLY...

THAT IS WHAT WAS AGREED

THIS IS SO TOTALLY WRONG
I REALLY DO f*cking DESPAIR

WHY IS IT SO INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT TO GET ANYTHING DONE RIGHT?

PLEASE FIX THIS NOW

>

I AM POSTING THIS AS I FEEL

UPSET!

ANYWAY
PLEASE ONLY BUY THIS 5 TRACK EP FROM ITUNES WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE FOR AROUND £4.00 OR LESS AND YOU GET THE FREE 65DOS T.O.O REMIX - IT'S FAB AND THE MONEY (WELL - OUR SHARE OF IT!) IS GOING TO A GOOD CAUSE...

THIS GOES FOR ANY OTHER ITUNES STORES AROUND THE WORLD

LIKE JAPAN...

ONWARDS...
RSX
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

crowbi_wan

I think it's quite clear who the target audience Robert (or Universal?) was going after with these emo remixers.

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9JCYUscAQ

:roll:

:!:WARNING - You might very well become ill while watching this video  :smth078

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on September 13, 2008, 21:08:26
I think it's quite clear who the target audience Robert (or Universal?) was going after with these emo remixers.

why i feel like posting a video response over there on youtube...?
because suddenly i'm actually reminded by a pretty enjoyable jared leto video (the only good one ever made):

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=zHEJTxuzCpw

:twisted:

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 13, 2008, 23:29:19

why i feel like posting a video response over there on youtube...?
because suddenly i'm actually reminded by a pretty enjoyable jared leto video (the only good one ever made):

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=zHEJTxuzCpw

:twisted:

Nice response, jb.   :smth023  But why not offer the viewer more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC7EGTfbFKc&feature=related

:smth042

nausearockpig

That was pretty shit!

lostflower4

Hmmm... Pretty uninspired remixes for the most part. Can't say I really dislike them, but they're just kind of pointless. Reminds me a lot of the 1996 remixes. But I have to say the sound quality is superior to the previous singles. My only complaint there is that Robert's voice is so damn LOUD. And sorry to say it, but his voice has started sounding more strained and squeaky ever since around 2004, so I don't know why there has been a trend to put his voice up front even more. If I was mixing this stuff, I'd want to put it in the background a bit more, or at least try to take the harshness out somehow.

I almost have a hard time believing these mixes were done at the artists' free will. I can totally imagine Robert demanding, "Make my voice LOUD or else!"

Although I did kind of enjoy the second half of The Only One remix, although the first half is bordering on torture. I think the song is musically kind of interesting, but I still can't STAND the lyrics/vocals. I really think it might be the worst Cure song ever.

And this "Exploding Head Syndrome"... Yes, my head IS going to explode if I hear any more of this "love, love, love" bullshit. Seriously, it's time to put this song in the vaults and move on.

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 14, 2008, 07:41:07
My only complaint there is that Robert's voice is so damn LOUD. And sorry to say it, but his voice has started sounding more strained and squeaky ever since around 2004, so I don't know why there has been a trend to put his voice up front even more. If I was mixing this stuff, I'd want to put it in the background a bit more, or at least try to take the harshness out somehow.

I almost have a hard time believing these mixes were done at the artists' free will. I can totally imagine Robert demanding, "Make my voice LOUD or else!"

indeed that's a pretty obvious sign of robert dictating the rules there.
reminds me of 'blue sunshine' "vocal demos" - just one of those "truths" he'll keep saying with a straight face although everyone can hear the truth. i wonder why(?).

love love love loveee  :)

melly

I think it's quite clear who the target audience Robert (or Universal?) was going after...

according to the 65DOS site, they say it was Universals' choice of bands to do the remixes..
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

melly

after reading some of the above vitriolic comments re Jared leto, I thought to myself,"This guy must be a real bastard, a rotten person". I have never heard of him, (probably an age thing on my behalf) so, I "googled" him, and the band he is in. Okay, not my taste in music, but that's nothing. Why do some people detest him so much? Is it just because of his music, or he was an actor, or has he done something really vile, like bash a woman or hurt a kid?  The kind of lip curling sneers directed at this guy is pretty harsh, if it's just because you don't like his music. Don't listen to it.  Why tear the guy apart on a Cure forum? I don't like his remix, so I don't listen to it. You know, life can be simpler by being a little more accepting of others.
:smth011

" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...