Best Album Cover

Started by dsanchez, September 06, 2010, 12:33:25

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favourite Album Cover?

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueC on December 27, 2019, 11:23:01Please educate me... I'm saying this from underneath a chair... neither of us think the artwork on Cure albums is a strong point (and not for many other bands as well), particularly the ones that look like they were done by kids in preschool.  The Disintegration cover is OK.  Please show me something you think is nice and tell me why you like it.  I might learn something...

Um ... I really liked what she recently did for Andy. And since the new album should be darker, which I like, I wouldn't let any children do the artwork either. Please do not get this wrong! I like children. 😓

SueC

I don't know what she did for Andy, @MeltingMan, do you have any links?

I like children too.  But I don't particularly think pre-schoolers are suited to do album artwork, light or dark...

Funny anecdote:  The first album Brett got me, he hated the cover so much he tore it up and put in something he ran up on the computer.  Was Baroque music and he did a lovely cover for it which featured as part of it some seashells I'd sent him, and I couldn't work out how my seashells had gotten on the album cover... and then he solved my mystery by telling me he was a graphic designer and had done the cover...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 27, 2019, 12:41:34I like children too.  But I don't particularly think pre-schoolers are suited to do album artwork, light or dark...

Well back then (and partly still today) I enjoyed the kids' artwork used on "The Cure" album in 2004 (reminded me of what my own niece(s) used to draw and paint)! Compared to this, I can't really say what Porl (Pearl) did for the 2008 album was much better...

Let's hope for better artwork in 2020, eh?  :-D
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Man, am I glad to hear that this was actually kid's artwork, and not something a designer got paid for!   :angel
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 27, 2019, 13:34:07Man, am I glad to hear that this was actually kid's artwork

Robert's nieces and nephews (as far as I know), who got asked to draw something about the band...

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueC on December 27, 2019, 12:41:34I don't know what she did for Andy, @MeltingMan, do you have any links?

With pleasure. I took the example because it wasn't so long ago and I cannot say
at the moment when and how often Pearl(Porl) was involved in the sleeve design. I
like more graphic things. See a little more below. Then you see it. By the way, you
can come out from under the chair. 😄 (I hope the link works.)

http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=9034.msg768951#msg768951

jestoon425

Quote from: MeltingMan on December 27, 2019, 11:53:29
Quote from: SueC on December 27, 2019, 11:23:01Please educate me... I'm saying this from underneath a chair... neither of us think the artwork on Cure albums is a strong point (and not for many other bands as well), particularly the ones that look like they were done by kids in preschool.  The Disintegration cover is OK.  Please show me something you think is nice and tell me why you like it.  I might learn something...

Um ... I really liked what she recently did for Andy. And since the new album should be darker, which I like, I wouldn't let any children do the artwork either. Please do not get this wrong! I like children. 😓

I really love the art for The Top, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, Faith, and Wish (all done by Pearl.) They all fit the mood of the music incredibly well. And I wonder about Pearl's fixation on eyes and what they mean; they seem to be a recurring theme in her artwork
But it's much too late you say
For doing this now
We should have done it then
Well it just goes to show
How wrong you can be
And how you really should know
That it's never too late
To get up and go

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on December 27, 2019, 15:55:19I cannot say at the moment when and how often Pearl(Porl) was involved in the sleeve design.

Basically if it says that the artwork was done by "parched art", it was mostly Porl and Andy Vella, starting off (I think) with "The Walk" in '83! (Later, when Porl was outta the band, it might've been "only" Andy V.)

SueC

I'm afraid the link won't come up for me, @MeltingMan - Instagram says it's unavailable.  But it's nice to be out from under my chair!  :)
SueC is time travelling

SueC

So out of the four you mentioned, @jestoon425, we both like this one the best:

...and the back cover more than the front cover:

Brett likes the monochrome-ness and minimalism of this one, but says he wouldn't hang it on his wall:

This is OK - I mean, it fits the theme, but to me it's really just a photo with some handwriting over it:

And this one, if you don't look too closely, is OK, but when you look closely, it does look like a preschool art project, complete with acrylic-printing a half apple, and making scrawly drawings:

So I asked Brett what his favourite covers are in general, and he nominated these:

...search me, it's just scrawly writing on a wall pattern...

Also:

Meh - I think.

And:

Well, this one I actually like...

I don't know that I have any favourite covers.  I think album cover art is generally a bit ordinary.  Just a smidgen above cereal packets.  But I do think Anton Corbijn does nice moody photos, like here:

I also like his choice of colours and font to go with the photos.  And I like this album cover:

It's not particularly abstract and actually gives you an idea of what you're going to hear.  Also, it actually looks nice.  :)
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueC on December 28, 2019, 03:52:06I'm afraid the link won't come up for me, @MeltingMan - Instagram says it's unavailable.  But it's nice to be out from under my chair!  :)

OK, here it is. Not as colorful as The Top, but the same "handwriting". Have a nice weekend, SueC.

SueC

Why can't I see the link? ...do I need to go get my glasses?  :1f636:

You have a lovely weekend too, @MeltingMan:cool

...that is actually really nice handwriting on KM, I will give it that! :)  And the writing on The Top is also rather nice.  It's difficult to notice these things without your glasses on... :angel
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 28, 2019, 12:01:18Why can't I see the link? ...do I need to go get my glasses?

Might be your internet connection and/or twitter does not show?

I tried to do a screenshot and add it as attachment, does this work?
You cannot view this attachment.

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on December 28, 2019, 12:50:14Might be your internet connection and/or twitter does not show?

I tried to do a screenshot and add it as attachment, does this work?
You cannot view this attachment.

Yes, that works, thank you! :cool  ...I think it's because we run things on Linux and disallow all sorts of popups and requests that are remotely dodgy security-wise.  When Brett went to the source material "behind" the display, he was able to call up the picture, but it was complicated.

...and it is nice handwriting.  ...is it just me or is anyone else getting the creepy feeling that it's written in black blood, instead of black ink?

@word_on_a_wing, that looks like a pair of industrial Easter Island statues, if you know what I mean, and scarier than the original stone statues. Sort of menacing.  Interesting stuff about the children's art!  :smth023  And I second that idea...

(...and after the in-the works album, I'd quite like "Harold & Joe" type album, as mentioned before :angel)
SueC is time travelling