Bringing request signs to shows

Started by Pooka, February 28, 2008, 01:38:54

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

Quote from: cure_kitty on May 12, 2008, 20:55:08
Quote from: crowbi_wan on May 12, 2008, 04:27:01
Have there been any request signs on display?  I'll be bring the Other Voices sign along with me and will most likely fill in the other side with "HANGING GARDEN". 

Oooooo....better yet, "BASS VI"  :-D  I wonder if he's even brought one on tour?  Sadly, I think the answer would be no. 

At the Philly Show if you had a sign before you walked into the Spectrum they were confiscated by security.  I didn't see a single sign in the place during the show so I doubt anyone snuck one in.  Not sure if it was the venues policy or the band but usually you see something at a show.  Good Luck getting your's in, I hope you'll be able to with no issues.

I've never had much trouble getting anything (signs, recording gear, cameras, alcohol, drugs)into a show before  ;)

j

It's always the hookers, fire trucks, and horses that I have problems sneaking in  :lol:

scatcat

Quote from: j on May 12, 2008, 23:05:36
It's always the hookers, fire trucks, and horses that I have problems sneaking in  :lol:

does this mean what i think it does..  :roll:  kinky!   :-D
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

jbud1980

The Hollywood Bowl's website states no signs allowed, yet you can bring your own booze. I would love to make a sign that says "Homesick, All I Want, Piggy in the Mirror, Lament" which should be easily viewed considering I have garden box seats  :P , but no worries,  I have never been disappointed by them.

japanesebaby

Quote from: jbud1980 on May 23, 2008, 05:10:57
The Hollywood Bowl's website states no signs allowed, yet you can bring your own booze.

is that so? what can i say, most things hollywood never made much sense to me anyway...  :eek:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

I would love to make a sign that says "Homesick, All I Want, Piggy in the Mirror, Lament" which should be easily viewed considering I have garden box seats  :P

Easy to see from the Garden Boxes?  Robert has pretty poor sight, so that would have to be one GIANT sign.  Maybe you can convince someone in the pool circle to sneak in and hold up a sign for you  ;)

lostflower4

Quote from: crowbi_wan on May 23, 2008, 06:21:19
I would love to make a sign that says "Homesick, All I Want, Piggy in the Mirror, Lament" which should be easily viewed considering I have garden box seats  :P

Easy to see from the Garden Boxes?  Robert has pretty poor sight, so that would have to be one GIANT sign.  Maybe you can convince someone in the pool circle to sneak in and hold up a sign for you  ;)

My big sign got confiscated at the door in Kansas City. I was really pissed, because I spent about 2 hours making it. I never realized how much work that is, carefully drawing block letters and coloring them in (I'm definitely not an artist).

They told me I could hide it behind the dumpster at the entrance and get it after the show. Well, of course it wasn't there afterwards.  :twisted:

Anyway, I had brought a smaller sign just in case this happened — a little bit bigger than a standard piece of typing paper. I was in the 5th row, dead center, and I still didn't feel like I was really close enough to make an impact. Even if I had my big sign, I'm not sure how effective it would have been.

Robert almost never makes eye contact with the audience. He was usually looking down or had his eyes half closed. The same with Simon, looking toward the ground most of the time. Porl made occasional eye contact with the audience, but it was very brief. As for Jason... Well, I don't think he has any input on anything the band does.  :lol:

I figured a sign could only have an influence on the encores since the mainsets seem to be set in stone, so my sign said THE KISS on one side and FAITH on the other (my bigger sign said FAITH ENCORE, but there wasn't enough room on the smaller sign to make it visible).

Rumor has it that they were going to play Faith at this show, but they changed/shortened the encores due to Robert's throat problems.  :(

But they did play The Kiss in the first encore, which was the first time they've played that song in back-to-back shows in 2008.

Did my little sign have an influence?  Maybe... Robert did seem to look right at it once or twice, but I don't know if he actually saw it, or cared.

Anyway, it was worth the effort.

Next time, I guess I'll have to come up with new sign-smuggling tactics.  :eek:

crowbi_wan

If you're located in the center, holding up your sign during Push is a good time.  Robert usually walks out in front of his monitors and gazes out into the crowd.  During Close To Me he's stage left and WCIBY he's on the right.  He might take notice during Never Enough while wandering the stage.  Other than that, he's not looking out all that much. 

Poe

Quote from: electric_glare on March 01, 2008, 07:51:51
Being next to a taper or not, I think it's pretty rude when people are singing during a show. After all, people paid to hear The Cure, not some other people.

But, but, but... That's part of the show, singing along with Robert, most definitely. As long as people who know they're not good singers can show enough respect for their neighbours to keep it down a notch, it should be alright. Live recordings with people singing along usually sound more, well, lively to me, it adds a special touch to the performance...

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 28, 2008, 08:23:44
and true about robert's vision - i'm not sure if he can see more than 3 feet away

Yeah, something like that. I've only read about it here:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartimes/4144593a26519.html

Quote from: Bloodflower on March 29, 2008, 02:46:46

Burn has never been attempted live.

It's one of the great Cure tragedies.

So it is... :smth088 Does the fact that it was originally written for a movie have anything/everything to do with it?

I found a list of the songs that are supposed to have never been played in full at a concert before, you've probably seen it and it may be incorrect in places, but here we go:

"2 Late, Adonais, Ariel (Peel Session only) Babble, Breathe, Burn, A Chain of Flowers, Cloudberry, Descent, Doubt, + - There has been some "doubt" (hehehe, wooo, ahhh... lemme catch my breath) that this has been played. Unless someone can give me the name of a show where it was, I'm a non-believer. The video clip on "Staring at the Sea" is a dub of the album version. The Dream, + Dredd Song, The Exploding Boy, Fear of Ghosts, A Few Hours After This, A Foolish Arrangement, Halo, Harold and Joe (Jon Ross show only), Hello I Love You (Jon Ross show only), Home, It Used to Be Me, Just One Kiss + (Peel Session only), A Man Inside My Mouth, Mr. Pink Eyes, New Day, Ocean, Off to Sleep, Out of Mind, A Pink Dream, Play, Purple Haze, Scared as You, Snow in Summer, Speak My Language, + Stop Dead, Sugar Girl, The Three Sisters, The Upstairs Room, + This Twilight Garden, To the Sky, Uyea Sound, Waiting, Young Americans [Craig]"
(From http://members.fortunecity.com/jpineres/FAQ.htm)
("This is the most recent FAQ from Descent, a Cure mailing list. Some information may be out of date.")

Waiting, To The Sky, This Twilight Garden, A Man Inside My Mouth, A Chain of Flowers, 2 Late, Ariel, aaawww....
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

KingOfSomeIsland

I should bring a Closedown/Homesick/Untitled Sign, or a Treasure/This Is A Lie/39 sign, or even a To The Sky/A Few Hours After This/It Used To Be Me sign if I'm feeling especially adventurous...

crowbi_wan

With a check mark next to Other Voices, it's time for a new sign.  Hmmm...Unstuck?  Hanging Garden?  Faith (or Faith encore)?  Dare I make one Same Deep Water or Watching Me Fall?  The bigger the letters the better.  So some of the longer titles won't do.  Hanging Garden will probably be next on my list with Faith going on the flip side.

jbud1980

Quote from: crowbi_wan on May 23, 2008, 06:21:19

Pool Circle, eh? Wow, perhaps I can snake my way down there once it becomes dark, but then again, you guys do not have a keen little tray to put your drinks on like us garden boxers.  :P Would a drink from our cooler convince you?

jbud1980

oh, btw, did you see that they played other voices last night in Utah?

crowbi_wan

Well ill be back in the garden boxes too, so no sign help from me at the hollywood bowl.  Vancouver san jose the shrine and san diego will be my next sign holding opportunities.  And yes i saw that other voices was played.  I was there. ; )

jbud1980

What a treat to hear that song! I think they have only played Other Voices one other time in 2008, in Switzerland if I am not mistaken. Wow, wish I could travel around the U.S. and see them, but at least I will be seeing them one week from today!  :-D

This may sound lame, but I have only seen The Cure four times, and I have yet to hear one of my favorite songs by them, which is fairly popular, Close To Me (I do like the obscure songs more, you saw what songs I would add to my sign).  Last night in Utah, they did not play Close To Me, which I believe is the first time the song has not been played in the U.S. (except in Kansas City when one encore was cut due to Robert's illness).  I really hope this is not a new trend...