"The Cure" not "Cure"

Started by nausearockpig, December 02, 2006, 09:51:55

Previous topic - Next topic

nausearockpig

Some of you may think I'm a bit mad voicing this but it's something that has been eating away at me for the longest time..

I'm sick to death of seeing The Cure notated or verbalised as "Cure" instead of "The Cure" in so many places... The band is called "The Cure" and should therefore be known as that...I'm tired of going to record stores and having to head to the "C" section instead of the "T" section... Just because the word "the" is a common word, does not mean it should be disregarded as part of the band's name. If this is the case, then perhaps "A Perfect Circle" should be called and known as "Perfect Circle, A" and listed under "P"

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUPIDITY MAKES ME
CRAZY AND ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, there! I've said my piece...

ps. IT'S STUPID AND ANNOYING!!!! :smth011

Dillinger

i dont think its a mistake, that is how things are categorised with out the "the" counting. it could apply to "a" or whatever but it nearly always does with "the". the rather simple reason is can you imagine how big the T section would be? it wouldnt be very helpful at all. also "the" gets dropped when your talking in conversation because it wouldnt make sense otherwise, for example"im a cure fan" makes sense where as"im a the cure fan" sounds odd and wrong.

nausearockpig

yeah i get all that but it still annoys me. It's like all of our grammatical rules are going out the window just because it's easier to say things the wrong way... I tell you, society is going to hell in a hand-basket and bad grammar is leading the slide down to eternal damnation...

Just because something "sounds" incorrect, doesn't mean it is - it's more likely that people have been brought up or taught in a certain way which makes them hear things sound "wrong" - if that makes sense... Take for instance the pronunciation of the letter "h". I've noticed that most people [that i have spoken to in Australia] say "Haitch" when the correct pronunciation is actually "Aitch".

And I still don't agree with dropping off the common words at the beginning of a band's name, even if it distributes bands amongst the lettered sections in a store... It's just wrong dammit!!! The band wanted that small word in their name, hence why it's there..

lostflower4

Hmmm... I think it's correct for The Cure to be put in the "c" section. It's just the standard way things are organized. No different than the way titles are arranged in a place like a library.

But as for what one calls the band is different. Of course on should say The Cure. Yes, it does bother me when people say things such as, "I like Cure. Cure is a good band." :roll:

However, they did kind of ask for it the way everything was labeled around the Wish era. And they were really popular back then, so maybe not the best time to be throwing that confusion into the mix. :?

nausearockpig

well then you'll have no issues with renaming the site www.thecurefans.com will you?? ;)

Dillinger

Quote from: lostflower4 on December 05, 2006, 07:00:13
But as for what one calls the band is different. Of course on should say The Cure. Yes, it does bother me when people say things such as, "I like Cure. Cure is a good band." :roll:

yes, i agree that in these sentence stractures THE cure is better, its just that in some it should be just cure.

also, while we're being grammer nazi's it would be "the cure are a good band" rather than is  :P

nausearockpig

re the Is vs Are: you're incorrect. The band in itself is one entity so it's referred to with "is" not "are"..

Eg.those five bands are in the classification of Metal, that one band is not..just because there's more than one person in the band doesn't automatically qualify it as a multiple.

lostflower4

Quote from: nausearockpig on December 05, 2006, 23:28:15
re the Is vs Are: you're incorrect. The band in itself is one entity so it's referred to with "is" not "are"..

I agree with this. "The Cure" as a whole represents a singular object â€" the band.

But... I hear both "is" and "are" all the time. :?

nausearockpig

I'm telling you, there's nothing worse than bad grammar... except bad manners...

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on December 05, 2006, 23:36:04
Quote from: nausearockpig on December 05, 2006, 23:28:15

I agree with this. "The Cure" as a whole represents a singular object â€" the band.

But... I hear both "is" and "are" all the time. :?

thanks for confirming this - you know we aliens sometimes get confused... 
anyway my ears always seemed to suggest to me that "is" was definitely correct, it just sounded right to me. but then i heard lots of people saying "are" and some of those were natives, so i didn't always get it either....  :?

about The Cure vs. Cure: sure, they can blame themselves and those they wish era covers... but 'Cure' sounds simply WRONG to me, it's got to be with the 'The'.
and of course the conversation here definitely refers to how the name should be used in the context of the english language. but an alien point of view, if only for entertainment purposes: some languages (like the funny one i speak) don't even have counterparts for  'a' or 'the' at all, they just don't exist in the grammar. and so sometimes we just need to concentrate an extra  bit to remember to add these funny little extra bits in front of the actual words...
and so it's quite common that those get dropped out in a daily conversation, although they are retained in written sources.
so everyone around here always tends to say 'cure' when talking about it (although that happens too rarely, way too few cureheads around here :?).
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Tof

In France, we are saying "Les cure". We translate "THE" but not "CURE" . we translate "THE" as "ARE" but I think it is "IS" (the band) !!!

when you ask someone :

"Tu as vu "LES CURE" a Londres en 2006 ??? "
"Do you see "LES CURE" to London in 2006 ???"

But one thing is sure, The cure is the best band of the world !!! :-D
Tof

RETROFORWARD

I'm glad someone mentioned the Wish album and the bands name as it appears. For all practical matters, the name is The Cure. Like when someone asks me "whats your favorite band of all time?" I say "The Cure". But saying "I've been listening to a lot of Cure lately" or "I'm going to a Cure show next month" is perfectly fine. It all depends on the context of how your saying it.

Now, in terms of record stores, if they put The Cure in the T section with all the other bands that start with "The" it would be difficult for some people to search through as stupid as that sounds. Also, most people will just naturally go to "C" so it may as well be there? Convenience I guess.

lostflower4

Quote from: RETROFORWARD on January 04, 2007, 16:25:39For all practical matters, the name is The Cure. Like when someone asks me "whats your favorite band of all time?" I say "The Cure". But saying "I've been listening to a lot of Cure lately" or "I'm going to a Cure show next month" is perfectly fine. It all depends on the context of how your saying it.

Very well put. Even though it seems kind of confusing on the surface, it all just kind of makes sense, as if there's some sort of unwritten rule that's somehow completely logical. :?

Dillinger

thank you retroforward, thats exactly what i was trying to explain but you put it in a much more articulate sentence

nausearockpig

nope.  :D I still can't agree with this. If we take the quick and easy way out, it leads to the Dark Side..[where have I heard this quote before?]

Why should we make stupid & inherently lazy peoples' lives easier?
Why should we make allowances for bad grammar and spelling?
Each of us makes allowances for other peoples' bad moods, bad driving and disrespectfulness in all walks of life. From office situations to when shopping or crossing the road... the list and situations go on and on..

We need to make a stand NOW!! And that stand starts with us pressuring each and every record store to move The Cure from "C" to "T"!!!!!

Anyway, I've ranted enough about a matter that really isn't of much consequence...

Imagine though, what would the world be like if each of us was moved enough by all the things that annoyed us to actually do something about it to better mankind...