exhibitions, art, science, history, museums, nature - anything/everything...

Started by japanesebaby, March 29, 2009, 20:59:41

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

thanks for visiting my blog, please leave a comment if you like. ;)

Quote from: Descent on April 09, 2009, 12:33:41
Wow. Nice encounters. Here in Paris' Père Lachaise cemetery, the only thing you may bump into are the wild cats that live in there. I also find walks in such an environment very relaxing. You get to feel what's really important around you.

yes, that's exactly why i find cemeteries really relaxing, nothing spooky or scary in there. places sprawling with people are spookier, actually.

i remember the cats while visiting montmartre cemetery once. this one posed for me a bit, enjoying the sun:

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on April 09, 2009, 12:39:00
Quote from: japanesebaby on April 09, 2009, 12:31:58
how could he be start of anything evil?  :D

Well for starters, Your little friend is at a greveyard :roll:.

ah well that can't be denied. ;) but like said, many times i do feel more at ease at graveyards than in regular streets for instance. there are spookier things which you run on a daily basis in the city centers/subways/etc...

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 09, 2009, 12:50:40
ah well that can't be denied. ;) but like said, many times i do feel more at ease at graveyards than in regular streets for instance. there are spookier things which you run on a daily basis in the city centers/subways/etc...

Yeah, You´re right there. I did score a few points at a course in Digital Storytelling in Stockholm a year ago. For my production I went to the biggest graveyard here in Uppsala to take stills for the visual effects. I had in mind the great cover to The Damneds "Phantasmagoria" when I took the shots and when I created my film from the stills. It came out rather nice wiyh me telling a true story of something dark that had occured during my childhood whlie growing up. The cutting came out a bit lame thanx to me being quite ignorant of the tecnique we were using.

Long story there. What I really wanted to say was; Yeah graveyards are a great source for inspirations in certain areas and state of minds. It´s not my number one honest place to go to if I want to contempalet though. A forest, preferably after a heavy rain, is like a mindmap to me.
again and again and again and again and again and...

Descent

A couple of weeks ago I went to the north of Scotland (where there are more sheeps than inhabitants !). It took a while to "recover" from the experience : I really didn't feel like going back home and to civilisation again. It was like exploring the edge of the world really : magnificent mountains, extreme weather changes (from snow to sun, short massive rain sometimes, freezing wind), deserted beaches and lakes, dark and desolate moors... I encountered absolutely nobody for quite some kilometers on the road. Delightful place. It's no wonder a few thousand years ago, people worshiped rocks, trees... What an atmosphere.

Also see my panoramic photos at http://www.innerstatic.com if you're interested.

I was also very impressed by the Kelvingrove museum in Glasgow (back to an urban zone to catch a train). Small collection but an amazing way to present it : you could read cards and access to files (photos or else) explaining techniques or inspiration etc. Lots of areas for kids. Lots of imagination really when the big world museums don't even bother.

Descent

fiction

Waow Descent! These pictures are really something. I always wanted to go to Scotland, well atleast for a rather long time now. I´m much of an autumn person and I think that I could cope with the whiskeys and Imperial pale ales aswell.

Is it ok if I snatch the picture at the top? The colours are adoreble. I wont take it without Your permission.

Nice streetsigns aswell. And how beautiful panoramas! The castle is amazing!

Thanx for showing!

Descent

Thanks very much. Of course you're free to download a pic if you like it. ;)
Just credit, if you use it somewhere online.

It seems spring is still a good time for seeing snowy landscapes there. I can't imagine how beautiful and even more harsh it must be in autumn in the north highlands. Almost nobody lives there. Fortunately, there are a few B&B to host visitors. :lol:

japanesebaby

great pics (as always ;)). thanks!

Quote from: Descent on April 09, 2009, 15:55:08
I forgot about the signs on the road in the remote places.  :-D

love that frog sign!  :) they should really have these elsewhere too.

fiction

Quote from: Descent on April 09, 2009, 21:48:50
Thanks very much. Of course you're free to download a pic if you like it. ;)
Just credit, if you use it somewhere online.

Thank You. I just want to print it out to watch on occasions. Maybe make a painting out of it. If I do I scan it and show it here later on.

Thanx again.

japanesebaby

back to the spooky herbert book, if they ever turned it into a hollywood movie then perhaps this bird might get a part?:

Damar the starling bird talking his head off

:eek: :P

or: come on terry! (especially around 4:20 - that would be spooky to hear from a tree!)

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 10, 2009, 14:28:41
back to the spooky herbert book, if they ever turned it into a hollywood movie then perhaps this bird might get a part?:

or: come on terry! (especially around 4:20 - that would be spooky to hear from a tree!)

C´M ON TERRY!!! Yeah, that´d scare the shit outa me in an early morning in the woods anyway.

Just finished the book and it turned out the squirrel was a good chap after all. Crazy book with a real overkill at the end.

Descent

Quote from: fiction on April 10, 2009, 00:30:04
Thank You. I just want to print it out to watch on occasions. Maybe make a painting out of it. If I do I scan it and show it here later on.
Thanx again.

I'd be very interested in seeing your work if you do it. Let me know if you need a larger resolution file.  :)

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on April 10, 2009, 20:41:54
Quote from: japanesebaby on April 10, 2009, 14:28:41

C´M ON TERRY!!! Yeah, that´d scare the shit outa me in an early morning in the woods anyway.

say no more.

by the way, a funny coincidence:

...Terry, an awesome Raven who I adopted at that the Tilgate Nature Center located in Crawley, Sussex, England.

i only noticed that now. anyway, makes it fit for the forum i suppose. ;)

stumbled on a finnish raven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOVYMQP7gMM&fmt=18
seriously, i find that really spooky!  :eek:

Quote from: fiction on April 10, 2009, 20:41:54
Just finished the book and it turned out the squirrel was a good chap after all. Crazy book with a real overkill at the end.

i guess the writer himself realized that the idea of a spooky evil squirrel was pretty silly in the first place and had to "make an emergency landing" story wise. oops?

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 11, 2009, 01:22:18

Pfuiii. Imagine one day in the woods and this black bird walks up next to you and says "ja ska" Which in Swedish means "I will". What do you want? would be my reply.

i guess the writer himself realized that the idea of a spooky evil squirrel was pretty silly in the first place and had to "make an emergency landing" story wise. oops?

Or rather did I misinterpret the beginning of the squirrels apperance. I was a bit on edge, waiting for the mysteries to begin.

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on April 11, 2009, 01:40:21

Pfuiii. Imagine one day in the woods and this black bird walks up next to you and says "ja ska" Which in Swedish means "I will". What do you want? would be my reply.

it's his name, jaska. it's a rather common first name for men. it's really spooky how he says that with an exactly right accent. and then he says "joo" which means yes/yeah (the english speaking girl on the video mistakes this as "you" by the way). and again, the accent is perfect. spooky!