U2 World Tour 2009/2010

Started by dsanchez, March 04, 2009, 22:38:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady

[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

japanesebaby

sorry but imo thats' just silly. having sting & bono (or robert smith) singing at the top of machu picchu - i mean, seriously. they should promote some local traditional/folk music artists and musicians, to celebrate the local, original culture and not invite some millionaire megastars that have absolutely zero to do with the whole thing and zero connection to it - and who also are only part of the western european traditions who originally ultimately caused the downfall of the whole place and the whole of the inca civilization.

(and ok i can see it already: "people abroad wouldn't know some local artists, we need some big names to promote the event" & blahblahblah. but in that case, what's the whole point anyway? in that case there is none. ;))
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Machu Picchu is patrimony of the world so I don't see nothing bad bringing those artists there. The institution who organize this is charged of the tourism promotion so I think is a great idea. There's already an event in June to celebrate the local, original culture: The Inti Raimy.

Anyway, I just think of the outstanding Jean Michel Jarre concert at the Pyramids of Giza and I don't see a reason why he couldn't have played there.

Jean Michel Jarre - Bells

Again, it would be awesome to see Bob there but I think it's just a dream :roll:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on November 14, 2010, 12:25:34
Machu Picchu is patrimony of the world so I don't see nothing bad bringing those artists there. The institution who organize this is charged of the tourism promotion so I think is a great idea.

Anyway, I just think of the outstanding Jean Michel Jarre concert at the Pyramids of Giza and I don't see a reason why he couldn't have played there.

machu picchu has suffered from too much tourism for already years and it's currently on the list of the most endangered world heritage sites in the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6267197/Machu-Picchu-and-Gaudi-church-among-world-heritage-sites-at-risk.html

already in 2002 UNESCO had pressed autohirities to limit the number of tourists on the site in order to protect it

http://www.tierramerica.net/english/2005/0507/iarticulo.shtml

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article1034286.ece

etc etc.

the very same can be said about the pyramids of giza. so, what do we really want: to protect these ancient sites for the future generations or to ignore their value and fragility and just use them as rock concert arenas etc.? seriously, it should be an easy choice there. sting & co. can sing elsewhere. instead of agreeing to some tourist gimmick like this. why don't they hold a charity concert for these endangered sites? and hold it someplace else than on that fragile endangered site itself.
so for me it's just totally silly to bring some mega-millionaires up there to sing la-la-la. it's all about just promoting MORE and more tourism,  whereas the facts clearly indicate that it should be limited to less than it already is.

Again, it would be awesome to see Bob there but I think it's just a dream :roll:

i'd like to think that he's (luckily) bright enough to say no to something like that. seriously, would you really like to see him as a clown for some tourist promotion agency? i wouldn't. i'm glad he's no clown for that kind of business but has pretty much retained his self-respect as an artist at least in this respect. doing some real charity (like royal albert hall 2006 etc. sort of events) is a completely different matter.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Lady

Impossible is nothing! ;)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]