The Cure Song Election - 4:13 Dream

Started by Whiskers, September 14, 2011, 09:00:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskers

I won't try to bring you down, but "The Reasons Why" takes the 3rd place slot.

These are the remaining songs on 4:13 Dream:

"Underneath The Stars"
"The Hungry Ghost"

My vote is for "The Hungry Ghost"

What is everyone's opinion of this album? I think that it's good, but the mixing takes a bit away from some of the songs (I'd especially love "Switch" and "Sirensong" a whole lot more if everything wasn't pushed to the forefront). I think that some of the songs are better than the ones on the band's self-titled album, but there are a few songs on it that are among my least favorites of the band.

dsanchez

I love "Underneath The Stars" but I prefer "The Hungry Ghost", it has such a sad guitars (it does not matter if it seems to be a slower version of "Want" like someone said) and great lyrics.

About the album, it's perhaps The Cure's weakest. Songs like "Freak Show" say it all. And the production ruined the classic sound of Cure guitars (compare it with Bloodflowers, for instance). Hope the next one will be better!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

othervoices13

This is the Cure's weakest album, hands down. The only songs that I listed to on a regular basis are Underneath the Stars and Sirensong...I'm ready for the B-sides election.
a smile to hide the fear away

othervoices13

a smile to hide the fear away

PAOKCURE

Underneath The Stars.

I actually like "4:13 Dream" a lot and much more than "The Cure" and "WMS".
It was a big surprise to me when I first heard it. I was surprised by myself. I didn't expect me to like anything that sounds like most of this album's songs. I hardly negotiate the "Cure-sound". I mean I listen almost anything but when it comes to a new Cure album I expect an "Underneath The Stars" and not "The Real Snow White". But to my surprise I liked them both equally and in the end maybe a little bit more the second one.
I guess once more they gave me what I want... oh yeh  :smth020

One last comment:"The Hungry Ghost" is (in my opinion) an absolutely perfect song. In every way... lyrics, music, riffs, feelings, mood, voice, percussion...
I went away alone with nothing left but faith

disintegration

I don't appreciate this album very much, I prefer "The Cure", bwt I like Underneat the stars, Hungry ghost and The scream.

My vote is for The hungry ghost.
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

TheyCallMeP

My vote is for The Hungry Ghost

About the album itself, I think it is underrated. At first listen I thought it was ok but this album grew on me so much, as someone else mentioned earlier I also like it more then WMS and S/T. Underneath the Stars, Real Snow White, Hungry Ghost, and Switch are all strong tracks and highlight the record for me. But yeah, underrated.

jbud1980

Quote from: dsanchez on September 14, 2011, 11:48:19
"Freakshow", probably the worst Cure song - ever.

i agree, and what makes this song even worse is that they released it as a single. WTF?

Trust...

The Hungry Ghost

I like this album the least of all. Underneath The Stars is my favourit.
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Whiskers

"The Hungry Ghost" is not satisfied in the 2nd place slot, making "Underneath The Stars" the most popular song on 4:13 Dream!

13.) Freakshow
12.) This. Here And Now. With You
11.) Sirensong
10.) It's Over
9.) Sleep When I'm Dead
8.) The Scream
7.) The Real Snow White
6.) The Perfect Boy
5.) The Only One
4.) Switch
3.) The Reasons Why
2.) The Hungry Ghost