Here it is... the book thread!

Started by scatcat, November 30, 2007, 03:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

Okay, due to derailing of another thread, I decided to open a new thread, where booklovers can discuss BOOKS, and whatever they are currently reading, or have read..

I am currently reading.. WUTHERING HEIGHTS, by Emily Bronte.  I started to read this one again , due to Carnage Visor's influence about Kate Bush..!!
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

YEY BOOKS!

I just finished Wuthering Heights last week, its a bit confusing when the narrator changes but i really enjoyed it!

At the moment i am reading KITCHEN by Banana Yoshimoto, its a really beautiful book about death, love and kitchens!

scatcat

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

Quote from: scatcat on November 30, 2007, 11:55:48
Banana Yoshimoto?   :shock:

Yeah! Its not her real name though. She's Japanese and she thought Banana sounded cute and androgynous. Her real name is Mahoko.

scatcat

.. I was just checking it out on the net.. Her books sound very interesting..  :smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

She's a really good author i would recommend her books to anyone.
I've nearly finished Kitchen and i have read Goodbye Tsugumi which was fantastic also, im going to read Lizard next   :smth023

robiola

A Book thread....Wheeeeeee!!!
Ok, where to start.... Lately I'm heavily into Tom Stoppard, anyone with me? Well, he actually writes plays, but hey, they've been published as books, so I say he qualifies. I'm currently reading Arcadia.

I read a couple of books by Banana Yoshimoto a few years ago, including Kitchen. They're very enjoyable, I remember gobbling up Kitchen in just a few hours. After a couple of books I kind of got tired of her style, though, she's a to-be-read-once-in-a-while author for me...

Carnage Visor

I am reading a great little novel by good old Stephen King called "NIGHT SHIFT" and when not reading that, I am reading "THINNER", also by Stephen King but under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.

Thanks for the mention, I hope you enjoy the book! I believe I own the movie...

Has anyone seen the picture of Simon Gallup kissing a photo of Kate Bush? It's pretty sweet!  :smth023

Peace guys!  :)

robiola

Quote from: Carnage Visor on December 02, 2007, 03:39:00
I am reading a great little novel by good old Stephen King called "NIGHT SHIFT" and when not reading that, I am reading "THINNER", also by Stephen King but under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.

Stephen King scares me stiff. The way he writes about fear and anguish is so amazing that I get inevitably caught up in it. I recently re-read The Shining and slept with the light on for a week. And I remember when I was 17 and I read Pet Semetary, I was so unsettled that I went to sleep with my mom for several nights, something I hadn't done since I was 6. I don't even like scary books usually, but I make an exception for King -- he has a rare talent.

disintegration

I read "Evocatiòn" by Aleida March, wife of el CHE!
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

scatcat

Quote from: Carnage Visor on December 02, 2007, 03:39:00

I can tell you this, Stephen King was my first real love , in reading books. We never had many books, growing up, and there was a copy of Stephen King's 'Carrie' in our house. I tried to read it ( i was about 9 years old), but my mum caught me and confiscated the book. .... :smth011.. I found it again from the cupboard and read it, devouring the pages.. my love for the fantasy and thriller novels began...  :smth023
  I read EVERYTHING Stephen King wrote.IT.The Dead Zone. Firestarter. Pet Semetary,etc.. My favourite, The Stand.
  I read through all of his books, including those written under his alias.. ( rejecting novels we HAD to read at school)  I got up to 'Misery'..... I had to put the book down..I had, finally had enough of thrillers and fantasy. I was really sick from the horror in the book.. ( different from the movie as i recall) My journey in thrillers had ended.
  I do think that Stephen King is a great fiction writer, still. I have 'The Eyes Of The Dragon', which he wrote so his kids could read his books. I like this one for its lack of devious, psychopathic storytelling. This was the last book of his that I read.
  Stephen King brought out the 'reader' in me. He opened my mind and imagination, my emotions finally expressed in my creative writing.
I pay homage to the great Stephen King. He is a very talented writer. Although i know I will never read another book written by him. It is not in my interests now.
he did scare me.. finally in 'Misery'. I needed to close the book, so to speak.
   I suppose that is why I can only read non-fiction novels.. which in themselves can be quite horrendous!
  :smth020

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

Wow Stephen King! What a wonderfully messed up writer he is! He really knows how to scare people with words! I haven't read much by him, i have Four Past Midnight which is a book of four novellas including Secret Window, Secret Garden (the reason why i bought it, because i love the secret window movie).
All four of the stories are brilliant but i can't read them at bedtime :shock:
Today i started The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe...so far so good!
"Resignedly beneath the sky the melancholy waters lie"

robiola

Quote from: disintegration on December 02, 2007, 11:07:44
I read "Evocatiòn" by Aleida March, wife of el CHE!

What is it about? Is it good?

disintegration

is good book!
I have very much book about CHE Guevara!
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

melly

I also LOVE Stephen King,my imagination running wild, scaring myself!! Haven't read anything of his for a while though; I really enjoy John Grisham and Patricia Connolly; both write "forensic" type books, fictional, but enjoyable.
Thoroughly enjoy reading non-fiction too, no favourite author though, just depends on what sort of mood I am set in. Sometimes, reading about someone elses struggles and triumphs can just kick you along that bit further...
Quite often, as I settle down to read a good book, I find, after a short space of time, I am reading it through the backs of my eyelids!!
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...