What's the story behind The Cure at the Bizarre Festival 1998?

Started by Janko, September 03, 2005, 21:54:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Janko

I'd like to ask stuff that happened behind various Cure gigs.
You could do that  too...

:-D

What's the story behind THE CURE AT BIZZARE FESTIVAL 1998
There were equipment problems, but the band seems in rather strange mood...

What do you think?!

:roll:
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

arielcc

i have just listened this show again!! Robert seems to be very drunk! i also read somewhere else that he vomited during one song but i can find which one!
i will give it a listened tomorrow morning!!

ariel

smitha

I don't have the show, but have heard that in Lyon98 he was much more drunk. I have listened to One Hundred Years from this concert he cannot sing a big part of the song...

lostflower4

You are very right, this is one of the most unusual concerts I have ever seen or heard. Watching the video of this, it's clear that most (all?) of the band is wasted. Perry is bouncing all over the stage, and Simon makes an unusually large number of mistakes. Roger makes some jerking around movements (kind of like Lol used to), and Robert makes up new melodies and improvises the words...

I thought it was really funny during 10.15 Saturday Night. During Simon's bass solo, he messes up pretty bad, then just gives up after a while and stops playing. Also, Robert sings the lyrics of Watching Me Fall during Untitled. I actually thought in a way this concert was great because they seemed more energetic and carefree. Sometimes I thought Perry actually played better than usual, like he had more confidence.

Overall, a pretty sloppy performance though. But an interesting moment in Cure history!

zinnsoldat

oh..
I would really like to see the video of Lyon98. This thread made me curious and I read a few reviews of the concert on chainofflowers and what I read :shock: . At that moment I knew that I have to see this video :D .
"Faszination Stra?e"

cult_hero

1998 was a bad cure-year!  :oops:  the most interessting part of the bizarre-concert is the beginnig of "untitled": robert sang the first lines from "watching me fall".

smitha

i would love to watch the video too, as it seems robert hardly stands up on the stage. I also heard that roger looks at robert as if he had to stop the playing and hold him just to help him not falling to the floor. It would be nice to see what's is true and what's rumoured...  :-D

Janko

Interesting that however they drank during their history - they didnt mess things so much, not to mention cancelling the gigs (God forbid!).

I think that they are so good tehnically (especielly Simon - he's reliable and precise as a rock thrown at your face  :twisted: ) that they dont NEED to stay sober - to sound good whenever, however... Huh, bizzare show...

I mean SHAKE DOG SHAKE sounds really great - especially JASON'S vile drum set molesting...  :-D

Beesley Wytchboy

WOw I thought thiws gig was really rather good and they dont seem that drunk to me.
SHake dog shake is amazing and UNtitled is stunning not to mention the killer rendition of Wrong Number.
Though I guess the DVD is called a Strange day for a reason! :-D
You're Walking a thin line between here and out of control

CureWhispers

:D OMG!! I so want to see and hear this show!!!!! It sounds hilarious!!! So PLEASE PM me somebody if you have it!!! Thanx!!  :D

j

Lyon 98 will be on my site as soon as I can get my technical issues rectified.....

Janko

One caracteristic bootleg review:

1986.08.04 "Dax Arenes de Dax"   -   Robert is very drunk.

:-D  :-D  :-D

However, lets not talk about them as if they were Pogues.

:roll:

smitha

thank you jeff
can't wait for it

zinnsoldat

"Faszination Stra?e"

j

Lyon 98 is uploaded on a new server. Now if I can just figure out how to allow everyone to get it.....stupid technology!