NIN: the slip [official release - FREE download]

Started by japanesebaby, May 27, 2008, 18:38:11

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

pretty soon after 'ghosts', trent keeps shaking the record company executives with his free releases:

http://theslip.nin.com/

the music is available in a variety of formats including high-quality MP3, FLAC or M4A lossless at CD quality and even higher-than-CD quality 24/96 WAVE. your link will include all options - all free. all downloads include a PDF with artwork and credits.

for those of you interested in physical products, fear not. we plan to make a version of this release available on CD and vinyl in july. details coming soon.

available formats:

high-quality MP3s (87 mb)

will play in any MP3 player. encoded with LAME at V0, fully tagged.
recommended for most users.

the files will arrive as a zip archive. in most cases, double-clicking the zip file will open it. if you need more help with zip files, go here.

FLAC lossless (259 mb)

CD quality - will not play in itunes or many other popular media players. (more info)
recommended only for advanced users.

this link will download a small .torrent file, which you must open with a torrent application in order to download the audio files. visit this site for information about using torrents.

FLAC high definition 24/96 (942 mb)

better-than-CD-quality 24bit 96kHZ audio - will not play in itunes or many other popular media players. (more info)

this link will download a small .torrent file, which you must open with a torrent application in order to download the audio files. visit this site for information about using torrents.

M4A apple lossless (263 mb)

CD quality - will play in itunes. (more info)

high definition WAVE 24/96 (1.5 gb)

better-than-CD-quality 24bit 96kHz audio (more info)

for advanced audiophiles only! although you will be able to play these files with most players that support WAVE format, you will not get any benefits from the higher resolution audio unless you have extremely high-end audio equipment. if you're not familiar with 24/96 audio, this download is not recommended.

all files are 100% DRM-free.

:rocker
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Steve

Grabbed this a couple of weeks back.
Not bad actually.
I got hold of the 24/96 wavs & will commit to dvda whan I get some time.
BTW.
The artwork was inclused in the download, so anyone burning to disc can make a CD sleeve too.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

boneheadhaggar

its nice to be nice

japanesebaby

i am really delighted about this album (and i don't mean because it was free).
this is exactly what i was missing at the moment. :smth045
great to have trent back in business (and hopefully they'll tour europe too later this year - fingers crossed...).

and the free download for the hi-res version: :smth023
haha i love it how it makes radiohead look like a bunch of amateurs/some sad old people still living somewhere in the 90s with their 50 kb/s dial-up connections. ha! :lol:

"we encourage you to
remix it
share it with your friends,
post it on your blog,
play it on your podcast,
give it to strangers,
etc."

a really cool site: http://remix.nin.com/

just how many bands make multitracks available for the fans? :smth023

Poe

Quote from: Steve on May 27, 2008, 19:42:33
Grabbed this a couple of weeks back.

With a little help from meee, I believe.  :smth082

Anyhow, this record made me realize I should listen more to this band. Suggestions? (I'm lazy, I know  :P)

By the way, I don't usually listen to the Off the Dial podcast, but they've reviewed the whole album (quite favorably) in their tenth episode (while playing it on the show). Someone tipped me about it, may be worth checking out (don't have time right NOW).

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 27, 2008, 18:38:11
M4A apple lossless (263 mb)

The episode is available in m4a enhanced format, is that  :smth051 or  :twisted:, i.e. okay to upload here or not? Seems alright, but not entirely sure... :roll:
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

the topic slipped - sorry i meant split ;)

the NIN conversation that followed is moved here:

http://curefans.com/index.php?action=post;topic=5157

please carry on  :-D

(sorry don't know anything about podcasts - i might i'm too old for podcasts, don't they have an age limit or something? ;))

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 13:05:40
(sorry don't know anything about podcasts - i might i'm too old for podcasts, don't they have an age limit or something? ;))

They most certainly don't, thank you very much!  :smth016 :-D There's something for everyone. I'll give you a little lecture on the wonders of podcasting in another thread sometime, alright?   ;)  8)

Here's the podcast episode with the review of the album (m4a enhanced format):

http://cdn4.libsyn.com/offthedial/OtD_2008.P10.m4a?nvb=20080601120045&nva=20080602120045&t=0a2f5ea68b34f18ab5dfb
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

japanesebaby

i found this a kind of cool gadget:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nineinchnails/2612112871/

can you spot yourself on the map?
(depends on where you live as it gets a bit "crowded" there at times).

crowbi_wan

NIN kicks off their tour tonight.  Okay, they played a festival yesterday, but the official tour begins tonight in Seattle and I will be there  :rocker 

coxoxi

This is great move form NIN and I love the album  :smth023

sues777

I just bought this (I know, could have just downloaded it but wanted the whole limited edition digipak experience...) and I love it...I kinda forgot how much I like this band...
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

jbud1980

almost half the songs of year zero, yet twice as good. this album sort of reminisces  the "broken" era with a few "fragile" songs thrown in for good nature. i can't wait to see them live in a couple of weeks at the forum, but not looking forward to the GA floor. Good thing the show is on a saturday which will allow me to waist most of the day standing in line hours before the show starts in order to secure a close enough spot to trent and company. anybody else going?

japanesebaby

Quote from: jbud1980 on August 24, 2008, 19:10:55
almost half the songs of year zero, yet twice as good.

i think the concept of 'year zero' was simply brilliant, yet i have to agree that the album itself didn't quite reach the same level.
although some of the Y0 tracks actually did/do work very well live, much better than one might expect perhaps. for instance 'the great destroyer' performed behind the laptops in "kraftwerk-ish" fashion is simply superb live.

hope you enjoy the live show(s)! too bad no european dates seem to be coming up...

jbud1980

I have never been disappointed by a NIN live show and look forward to hearing anything live, sans Ghosts. Of course, I will hope for rarities such as happiness in slavery, the becoming, where is everybody?, the perfect drug, the only time, and ringfinger, but whatever, that will never happen. sorta like the slim chances of ever hearing "all i want" and "homesick" by The Cure  :cry:

I know this may be sacrilegious,  but I have never heard anything from Kraftwerk. Could you recommend some songs?