NIN: the slip [official release - FREE download]

Started by japanesebaby, May 27, 2008, 18:38:11

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: jbud1980 on August 27, 2008, 03:16:38
I have never been disappointed by a NIN live show and look forward to hearing anything live, sans Ghosts. Of course, I will hope for rarities such as happiness in slavery, the becoming, where is everybody?, the perfect drug, the only time, and ringfinger, but whatever, that will never happen. sorta like the slim chances of ever hearing "all i want" and "homesick" by The Cure  :cry:

well i've really liked the live renditions of some of the 'ghosts'. the way they've been performed, like for instance here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBemtCnAFg

but it's always like you said, wouldn't mind hearing them play half of 'fragile' though, just for me. :D

I know this may be sacrilegious,  but I have never heard anything from Kraftwerk. Could you recommend some songs?

well i admit that my knowledge of kraftwerk doesn't really even go much past their 70's output. why? not sure! :-P haha
my personal favorites might be 'radio-activity' and 'the man-machine'. not sure if you might be into that kind of stuff though. it's quite early electronic stuff.

anyway, actually i didn't mean to imply NIN really sounded anything like kraftwerk, by "kraftwerk-ish" i meant mostly the visual lookt, or the "stage attitude" of playing behind the computers/laptops without any "rock action" at all. i think that it's a pretty cool thing from trent, to be bold enough to add such sharp contrast to their live performance: one moment they can be grinding their way through 'wish', in an old "how about smashing all of the stage gear? - aaargggh, you pigs!!" style and the next moment they are coolly behind the laptops - BUT the marvellous thing in it is that the music stays just as powerful all through this. :!: like said, the live version of 'the great destroyer' that i saw was probably the most powerful moment of the whole gig - and they played some really heavy stuff on that gig, including 'dead souls' etc. there was a comlete rioting madness during 'sin' and 'march of the pigs' which i easily would have thought couldn't be topped, but still 'the great destroyer' was the one that made me go all  :shock:   :rocker
and i've heard a recording of that since but it seems to be one of those things that cannot be recreated on tape/film. i kind of hate to say things like "you need to see it for yourself!" but in this case i think it might be true.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 25, 2008, 13:11:37

i think the concept of 'year zero' was simply brilliant, yet i have to agree that the album itself didn't quite reach the same level.

I'm going to be a little nasty here, but I would say that actually that is a common problem with NIN productions... the songwriting abilities, as a whole, rarely meet the artistic ambitions.

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 04, 2008, 11:07:07

i think the concept of 'year zero' was simply brilliant, yet i have to agree that the album itself didn't quite reach the same level.

I'm going to be a little nasty here, but I would say that actually that is a common problem with NIN productions... the songwriting abilities, as a whole, rarely meet the artistic ambitions.

well i don't think disagreeing about something must necessarily mean being nasty,
anyway, would you really think so? well i'd surely have to disagree that it's a common problem at all. for instance, 'fragile' surely deserves to be rated high in terms of songwriting alone. and not only in terms of NIN songwriting but songwriting in general. not to mention it's a very well structured double album (if you can use the term "album" about a cd release) that has very ambitious way of re-working of musical material throughout it. in which i do think it also succeeds very well - not something that many artists have succeeded with, if they even had ambition/means to try.

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 04, 2008, 11:34:51
Quote from: revolt on September 04, 2008, 11:07:07

well i don't think disagreeing about something must necessarily mean being nasty,
anyway, would you really think so? well i'd surely have to disagree that it's a common problem at all. for instance, 'fragile' surely deserves to be rated high in terms of songwriting alone. and not only in terms of NIN songwriting but songwriting in general. not to mention it's a very well structured double album (if you can use the term "album" about a cd release) that has very ambitious way of re-working of musical material throughout it. in which i do think it also succeeds very well - not something that many artists have succeeded with, if they even had ambition/means to try.

Well, I admit I've never checked "The Fragile". I was thinking mainly of "The Downward Spiral". Also "Pretty Hate Machine", which is pretty much uneven (however, in this case perhaps there was no special concept of any kind). These are the albuns I know in full (not many, I know). But my overall impression also comes from reading reviews of other NIN albums...

By the way, together with "Something I can never have", this remains my favourite NIN song to this day:

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=jhp47q_mjqs

jbud1980

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 04, 2008, 10:12:15

but it's always like you said, wouldn't mind hearing them play half of 'fragile' though, just for me.  :D

The show last night was pretty good. My friend and I arrived 3 hours before doors opened because the floor section is GA, which sorta sucked. We ended up relatively close to the rail, but all hell broke loose as soon as NIN took the stage. I was quite disappointed by the amount of teeny boppers i assumed were there because of the few songs played on the ever redundant radio station, KROQ. I am 27 and felt "old" in the pit. Anyway, this may sound negative, but I am not impressed with technology and could have easily foregone all the pretty lights for a less predictable set list. Ghosts was horrible live (sans Ghosts 31 which had a Fragile sound to it) because it drained the energy from a show that is usually ripe with head banging, screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs songs. Even the pit was sorta tame by NIN standards. It wasn't a bad show (Reptile and The Big Come Down being my favorites) yet the new material sounded weak, and I am a huge fan of The Slip.

Only two songs from The Fragile were played, yet The Frail is more of a filler.  :?

japanesebaby

sorry to hear you were left a bit disappointed. i've felt old in a NIN pit (and other artists' gigs too) but just as long as everyone seems to be there for the same reason (which is focusing on the show) i suppose i don't really care. the only thing that really pisses me off at concerts is people who come there to have a chat with their pals all through the show and people who concentrate on being piss drunk the moment they are allowed through the gates and make beer runs all the time. i could punch those one's in the eye. anyway, another story.

Quote from: jbud1980 on September 07, 2008, 20:44:34a show that is usually ripe with head banging, screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs songs. 

yes i do know what you mean by that. still, i've just been really interested in the approach they've taken this time. i like the idea that a NIN show could be something else than just screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs experience. surely it's a classic NIN approach but they've been doing that for years - so why not try something else for a change.
i'd be really curious to see/hear the current format, whether it would work (for me). i guess i can't really say anything until i've seen/heard it myself.

(agreed, 'frail' seems to be just a filler. perhaps they should follow it with something else from 'fragile'. then again i kind of like the idea that they are patching up old and new material together like that, just adding glimpses of it between the songs. but perhaps they should do it a bit more extensively then, for the idea to really start shaping the concert.

('reptile' and 'big come down' - sounds good.)

by the way: http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5157.msg55861.html#msg55861