(When) Will The Cure Get A Keyboardist?

Started by Bloodflower, May 31, 2007, 22:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsquidy13

I've had dreams The I became the next keyboardist to the Cure. XD

Well, I can do Same Deep Water, Lovesong, Disintegration, UNtitled, High, A Letter To Elise, and many others.

Prayers For Rain has always been my favorite though.

XD But I realize it would never happen, and if it did, The Cure audience would hate my guts, just like Jason, because it would seem As If I had kicked Roger or Perry out, and I'd be compared to two legends among me. And Age Difference. Yeah, I'm only more then 30 years younger then Smith. XD

My Dreams were far away from reality.....

Secrets

I don't mind them ditching the keyboards for a tour.  Seeing Porl play some bits on his guitar was quite different to see live.  Especially the jazzy bits on Close To Me.

However, I think they do need the keys on the albums.  Not so much for melodies like they did in the 80s on KMKMKM and HOTD, but as filler and ambience.  There are plenty of keys in the background of the guitary songs on Wish.

Darth_Blood

to me there are song that sounds great without keys, and other ones sounds awful... but i guess my bigger complaint about the no keyboards thing are the sequences... no t the use of it... the limits of the use of it... i mean... no more long A FOREST or FAITH or M because the have to play according the duration of the sequences... and there is another thing... the speed of the songs... actually there is no variation on the speed of the songs from one show to other... remember on 1989 when they play why cant i be you and then makes this kind of mesh with the lovecats... the tempo variation... in Faith on that same tour... or that speed version of killing an arab on 84 or the variations in tempo in a forest during the wish tour... i can live with out the keyboards on the cure... but without this changing vibe? so may be the topic should be... THE CURE SHOULD HAVE TO USE SEQUENCES INSTEAD KEYBOARDS???...

:rocker

Yves28

Quote from: Darth_Blood on November 19, 2007, 08:46:48
THE CURE SHOULD HAVE TO USE SEQUENCES INSTEAD KEYBOARDS???...

You're pretty right on that point.
First time I heard Push with sequence, I found it funny. But then I thought is it really worthwhile ? The same with Kyoto song: it's sounds far too fast to me ... Without sequence it would be better (I think).

This is of course my humble opinion. I won't stop liking The Cure music if they keep using sequences. And I'll wait 2008 to make my opinion in live (nd not only on recordings of live shows ...).

scatcat

Quote from: Darth_Blood on November 19, 2007, 08:46:48
to me there are song that sounds great without keys, and other ones sounds awful... but i guess my bigger complaint about the no keyboards thing are the sequences... no t the use of it... the limits of the use of it... i mean... no more long A FOREST or FAITH or M because the have to play according the duration of the sequences... and there is another thing... the speed of the songs... actually there is no variation on the speed of the songs from one show to other... remember on 1989 when they play why cant i be you and then makes this kind of mesh with the lovecats... the tempo variation... in Faith on that same tour... or that speed version of killing an arab on 84 or the variations in tempo in a forest during the wish tour... i can live with out the keyboards on the cure... but without this changing vibe? so may be the topic should be... THE CURE SHOULD HAVE TO USE SEQUENCES INSTEAD KEYBOARDS???...

I gotta rethink.. I agree with the tempo.. being a fan since it's conception,  and hearing new songs remixed, variations in tempo actually annoy me, because I loved the songs the way they were. Watching and listening to various acoustic and recent performances, I do feel that lack of "difference" and separation from other songs.
In concert, I suppose, to mesh together, they are performing well. I do miss the keyboards, but I can't help but really adopt the way the play.. I mean, Robert wasn't even singing when they first started up, and now he's the main vocals , playing guitar,performing, writing new album, remixing old ones, and he's nearly 50!! 
I gotta say I miss the old A FORESTand others..  :smth011

I guess with most bands that survive this long.. they get sick of performing their songs over& over again.. they wanna not get bored by their own music.. but as an older fan.. yes, I like the originals, though some are definately improved through remixing. 

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Miss_Matrix

Well, the band sounds GREAT without keyboards!

Yes, i miss keyboards, i miss Roger, i miss some things every new seasson... but i do love being surprised by the band every seasson too!

Actually if The Cure were not an ever changing band, it is likely that by now i would have fed up of having the same kind of stuff year after year.

The sound of the current Cure is all guitar driven and i appreciate the disctinct "flavor" all those classic songs have now.

Just enjoy the varaitions!

You gotta hear them live and then you will agree that they are the Fantastic 4. Nothing and no one is missing.

Lady

I like how they sound without keyboards, too (Porl is great!)...but I must admit I miss so much the keys in some songs... :(

For exemple the Bloodflowers songs without keys will never give the same emotions...
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Miss_Matrix

Quote from: Lady on November 21, 2007, 19:00:57
I like how they sound without keyboards, too (Porl is great!)...but I must admit I miss so much the keys in some songs... :(

For exemple the Bloodflowers songs without keys will never give the same emotions...

Well, that's what i would have thought about Bloodflowers until the guitar solo came in and i broke into tears on Oct 22nd...

And it is interesting that you mentioned that song, because it sums up the everchanging philosophy of The Cure.

And yes... Porl is GREAT.

Lady

Quote from: Miss_Matrix on November 21, 2007, 19:10:19

Well, that's what i would have thought about Bloodflowers until the guitar solo came in and i broke into tears on Oct 22nd...

And it is interesting that you mentioned that song, because it sums up the everchanging philosophy of The Cure.

Yes, for sure robert and porl are fantastic with the guitars but the atmosphere created by the keyboards is something not replaceable for me... ;)
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]

Miss_Matrix

Yeah... i know what you mean :)

But wait until you hear those guitars bleeding on stage: you won't give keyboards a thought!

Oh... i am still excited for those 3 fantastic concerts we had in Mexico City a month ago!

Cheers,

--Ms.Mtrx

[/quote]
Yes, for sure robert and porl are fantastic with the guitars but the atmosphere created by the keyboards is something not replaceable for me... ;)

[/quote]

silversand

I think The Cure sound really powerful without keyboards, but on some songs i miss the keyboards like e.g. Plainsong. I think this song needs them.

Can't wait to see them in concert next year and i'm really curious how the new album will sound like :) I'm sure it will be great - no question  :-D

Darth_Blood

well... i really enjoy the Mexico City shows... but please lets be honest... why cant i be you  sucks with tah overloaded Porl's guitars, disintegration sounds... THIN... and the lovecats!!!... there are songs that really need the keyboards... when i hear the tapings i can say... sounds better live... its not the same hear it recorded that hear it alive... but there still songs that needs the keyboards... or even better songs that do not need sequences... as i said before i can live without the keyboards.. but that awful sequences are really annoying...

Lady

Quote from: Miss_Matrix on November 21, 2007, 19:49:32
Yeah... i know what you mean :)

But wait until you hear those guitars bleeding on stage: you won't give keyboards a thought!

Oh... i am still excited for those 3 fantastic concerts we had in Mexico City a month ago!

Cheers,

--Ms.Mtrx
Mmmmm.... yeah, I'm waiting for the italian concerts in february-march. :roll:.. I'm so excited!!!!!! :rocker  And I'm sure I'll be excited after the concerts for a very long time!!!! :smth060  I can understand perfectly how you feel! :-D

Miss_Matrix

Yeah, well...

I don't think WCIBY "sucks" (ya tú, qué exagerado... a poco así-así te pareció q estuvo del nabo???) but ok, i agree with you that there's been better versions of that one from 2 decades ago.

About Disintegration i don't think it is the best example since the richness of the song depends almost entirely on Robert's voice so, i think he can sing that one a cappella and the effect would be somehow the same. I was crying, and so was he.

And Lovecats, well evidently that one was just for the fun of playing it WITH the audience. How could you miss the keyboards when Porl's guitar was meowing all the time and Robert let us sing the chorus and danced just to make us scream? In the end he smiled and said "Thank you for the help!" so who cares about keyboards when it was all about jamming???

--Ms.Mtrx

Quote from: Darth_Blood on November 21, 2007, 19:59:03
well... i really enjoy the Mexico City shows... but please lets be honest... why cant i be you  sucks with tah overloaded Porl's guitars, disintegration sounds... THIN... and the lovecats!!!... there are songs that really need the keyboards... when i hear the tapings i can say... sounds better live... its not the same hear it recorded that hear it alive... but there still songs that needs the keyboards... or even better songs that do not need sequences... as i said before i can live without the keyboards.. but that awful sequences are really annoying...

Darth_Blood

Quote from: Miss_Matrix on November 21, 2007, 21:02:41
Yeah, well...

I don't think WCIBY "sucks" (ya tú, qué exagerado... a poco así-así te pareció q estuvo del nabo???) but ok, i agree with you that there's been better versions of that one from 2 decades ago.

About Disintegration i don't think it is the best example since the richness of the song depends almost entirely on Robert's voice so, i think he can sing that one a cappella and the effect would be somehow the same. I was crying, and so was he.

And Lovecats, well evidently that one was just for the fun of playing it WITH the audience. How could you miss the keyboards when Porl's guitar was meowing all the time and Robert let us sing the chorus and danced just to make us scream? In the end he smiled and said "Thank you for the help!" so who cares about keyboards when it was all about jamming???

--Ms.Mtrx

Quote from: Darth_Blood on November 21, 2007, 19:59:03

I GUESS YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT... PLEASE!!! NO SEQUENCES...NO SEQUENCES...