February 25, 2020, 18:35:13

News:

Please consider making a donation to help to sustain curefans. Learn more.

Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

piggymirror

piggymirror

Ulrich

Never a big fan of DTH, but this song kinda grips me...

If only I'd thought of the right words...

MeltingMan

La femme reflète la pensée de l'homme et l'homme reflète l'âme de la femme.

Le livre du sceptre: politique, p.48

SueC

Well, here's a favourite track off an Appalachian folk album I bought off Bandcamp last year.  It's great for digging up your potatoes to, and doing general harvesting and sowing.  I didn't have an Appalachian album yet and really enjoy it.  Plus, the woman singing on the track happens to be a buddy off my "home forum" and it's great to discover the hidden talents of your circle of acquaintance.  I love her voice!  :heart-eyes  This is a variation of an old doomed-love song, where one person dies in tragic circumstances and parts of her get made into a fiddle that will then only play doom type music...

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Ulrich

One for Valentine's day:

BiscuityBoyle

To me, Outside is Bowie's finest post-Scary Monsters hour.

piggymirror

word_on_a_wing

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

@piggymirror, your last video won't play, what was it?

I really like this Pixies track and am hence re-listening to it:

@Ulrich, nice choice for the 14th.  :cool  Re DTH, I don't know why it seems so weird to me to hear people singing to contemporary music in German.  To me it's like there is a greater distance between the words and the music and it doesn't blend like it does with English - or kind of like what happens with words in rap music, where people are just jabbering over music with little seeming connection to it (much more extreme in rap and one reason I generally don't like it as a genre).  I liked the guitars and the general intentions and themes of this song.  The drumming made me break out in hives - just the style, in the straight bang-bang-bang sections... Funny how music affects people in different ways.  :lol:

Here's a lovely Waterboys track which is perfect for doing boring paperwork.

@BiscuityBoyle, I know this is an impertinent question so I've been sitting on it a while, but do you like biscuits?  How did you make your moniker?

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

It must be 30 years ago now when I first heard the Pixies (they were a big "hype" among friends back then in early 1990).

Quote from: SueC on February 17, 2020, 08:07:23Re DTH, I don't know why it seems so weird to me to hear people singing to contemporary music in German.  To me it's like there is a greater distance between the words and the music and it doesn't blend like it does with English...

Even though I am from Germany, I tend to agree. Like I said I've not been a fan of DTH (but they're friends of a friend of mine, thus they gain some sympathies) and in my collection you won't find many bands singing in German language...
Ever since the mid-80's I have preferred English(-speaking) bands (not just The Cure, also The Damned, The Stranglers, Ramones and many more).

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on February 17, 2020, 09:34:19
Quote from: SueC on February 17, 2020, 08:07:23Re DTH, I don't know why it seems so weird to me to hear people singing to contemporary music in German.  To me it's like there is a greater distance between the words and the music and it doesn't blend like it does with English...

Even though I am from Germany, I tend to agree. Like I said I've not been a fan of DTH (but they're friends of a friend of mine, thus they gain some sympathies) and in my collection you won't find many bands singing in German language...
Ever since the mid-80's I have preferred English(-speaking) bands (not just The Cure, also The Damned, The Stranglers, Ramones and many more).

I don't know why it is, @Ulrich, it just seems that English sounds more mellifluous.  German has quite a harsh sound, as is lampooned here:

So I've also preferred contemporary music sung in English (French, Gaelic, Zulu etc also sound fine) to German.  I actually can't name a German-language contemporary song I really love - but plenty in other languages.  Strange, isn't it.  It's sort of the same with poetry, I think that sounds better in English than German, and I much prefer Shakespeare to Goethe etc.

And yet when you look at classical music, German composers have created so much beautiful stuff.  Here's one example, and I will post a clip of a special "live" version.  This one works even though people are singing in it!  :)

:heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

piggymirror