You Know you are a Cure fan when... ?

Started by Untitled, September 04, 2007, 07:27:54

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

...and I'm going to add:  When you think a Van de Graaff generator would save a lot of time and effort in the creation of classical Cure hairstyles...  :angel

...just place one hand on the top, wait a minute or two, then spray into place with free hand (before taking other hand off).  Hair has to be grease-free and squeaky clean for this gadget to work properly, of course...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on July 26, 2019, 15:19:05Oh, old thread!  :-)

Nevertheless, as a new person here I'd like to submit two responses from our household.

No problem with reviving any old thread (if it's still relevant somehow)!  :cool

Welcome to the forum!!
I like your posts so far, sound like you're on the right side of crazy... ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on July 26, 2019, 17:01:51Welcome to the forum!!
I like your posts so far, sound like you're on the right side of crazy... ;)

Thanks for the welcome, and the crazy has by now been thoroughly demonstrated already - as was always inevitable!  :angel

Insanity is amusing and has survival value.  :)

It's nice to see there is a good amount of insanity around here!  :cool
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

... when Cure song titles help you in "real life". A call on my mobile, foreign number... didn't understand one word, tried to find out what's going on, then I remembered to say "wrong number", which helped and the call ended.  :beaming-face

SueC

When you're lying in bed with bronchitis and you say, "Of course, it doesn't matter if we all die."  :angel

And yeah, I can't say, "Wrong number!" to someone anymore without thinking of the song.  Songs like that are sort of like infections.  :-D
SueC is time travelling

QuincyK

When you start assigning Cure songs to friends. haha

Ulrich

Quote from: QuincyK on December 03, 2019, 16:21:49When you start assigning Cure songs to friends. haha

Assigning? Or did you mean "singing"?  :)
Anway, welcome to the forum!

SueC

Welcome, @QuincyK!  :-)

OK, I don't really think the example I am going to present counts as evidence of being a Cure fan as much as it counts as evidence of a compromised brain.  Because since we acquired The Top nearly two years ago, our dog can't go swimming and then come out without my husband saying to her, with irony in his voice, "Shake, dog, shake!" :P

SueC is time travelling

SueC

So you're in Australia, on the first day of a heatwave with temperatures forecast to hit 39-40 degrees C for the next three days. You do all your important work early in the morning before it gets too hot.  Guests have just left and in your innocence, you say, "I'm going to air the guest room for a bit, while it's still cool-ish."  So you open the French doors.

Ten minutes later, you re-enter the room and find yourself in an impromptu scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie.  There are flies everywhere - all over the ceiling and walls and every available surface. Hundred of flies, possibly thousands - you've never seen anything like this before.  There's several dozen large flesh-eating blowflies, oodles of those medium-sized annoying bushflies that crawl into people's eyes and up their noses, hordes of tiny little flies with lacy wings, and a plethora of midges, all over every surface you can see.

After the initial shock of seeing this mass gathering of the order Diptera all over the room, you grow freshly alarmed at the thought that they might do number twos all over your pristine white ceiling and plaster.  So you brainstorm ways to remove them quickly.  Fly spray is not an option - you don't like poisoning people, not even strangers, and it might actually make the cleanup messier to kill all these insects.  You experiment with chasing them back out of the open French doors, but the buzzing dark clouds you raise from one surface just re-settle on another.

So you hit upon the idea of vacuuming them all up.  That should work, but it's going to be extremely tedious.  So you close the French doors, get your iPod, and work to music while you stand on a chair and run the sofa attachment in sweeps all over the ceiling, and then the walls.  The midges all get sucked down the vortex first go; the little lacy-winged flies are nearly as easy.  The bushflies require chasing and persistence.  The blowflies are very tricky to catch - it's best to wait until they settle on the door glass, and then go after them.

The iPod starts to play Lullaby when you're back to standing on your chair, extending the vacuum wand all over the place like some long-limbed insectivore having a rather extended dinner - and you think, "Perfect! Yes! This is as excellent as when Golden Brown came on by fortuitous coincidence when I emptied the compost toilet cartridge into the hot compost bin last year!"

And as you're suctioning up hundreds of flies, you sing along, with dark emphasis, to the bit that goes, "The spiderman is having you for dinner tonight!"  Bwahahahahaha!  :rofl

This wasn't work I really needed, on top of everything.  I shall have to organise a flyscreen for those French doors.  But, it was work made not only bearable, but memorable, by that musical coincidence!  :)

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 13, 2019, 07:16:36Ten minutes later, you re-enter the room and find yourself in an impromptu scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie.  There are flies everywhere - all over the ceiling and walls and every available surface. Hundred of flies, possibly thousands - you've never seen anything like this before.  There's several dozen large flesh-eating blowflies, oodles of those medium-sized annoying bushflies that crawl into people's eyes and up their noses

Urgh, that has put a stop to any future visit of mine to Australia.  :1f631:

Quote from: SueC on December 13, 2019, 07:16:36And as you're suctioning up hundreds of flies, you sing along, with dark emphasis, to the bit that goes, "The spiderman is having you for dinner tonight!"  Bwahahahahaha!

Ok, that was (almost) expected at that point!  :lol:

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on December 13, 2019, 10:24:55
Quote from: SueC on December 13, 2019, 07:16:36Ten minutes later, you re-enter the room and find yourself in an impromptu scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie.  There are flies everywhere - all over the ceiling and walls and every available surface. Hundred of flies, possibly thousands - you've never seen anything like this before.  There's several dozen large flesh-eating blowflies, oodles of those medium-sized annoying bushflies that crawl into people's eyes and up their noses

Urgh, that has put a stop to any future visit of mine to Australia.  :1f631:

@Ulrich, Ulrich - technology comes to the rescue here.  This is what we wear when the bushflies are out, in late spring / early summer:

Bushflies also don't like to come into the house, and anyway, all the windows have flyscreens (just not the French doors, but you usually don't open those in the middle of the day when the flies are active - and this morning's event was completely unprecedented - we've never had anything like that happen before...).

Also I now need to tell you about the dung beetles.  When the nights get warmer, the dung beetles start to breed, and pretty soon that puts a stop to bushfly breeding, because the beetles spread and dry out the large animal manure in the paddocks.  Here's a time lapse of dung beetles going to work on a cow plop:

These beetles are most impressive.   :smth023

Quote from: Ulrich on December 13, 2019, 10:24:55
Quote from: SueC on December 13, 2019, 07:16:36And as you're suctioning up hundreds of flies, you sing along, with dark emphasis, to the bit that goes, "The spiderman is having you for dinner tonight!"  Bwahahahahaha!

Ok, that was (almost) expected at that point!  :lol:

Yes, you see, this being a Cure forum, I knew I could paint the picture and have people starting to guess as they went along in the story...  :rofl

There was also the time I lit a bonfire and then deliberately played Burn while minding the fire.  That was a really effective way to listen to that song.  All those flames and dancing shadows!  :cool
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on December 13, 2019, 11:17:23Ulrich - technology comes to the rescue here.  This is what we wear when the bushflies are out, in late spring / early summer

Okay, but not really my style.  :winking_tongue

Quote from: SueC on December 13, 2019, 11:17:23These beetles are most impressive.  :smth023

Ah, I think I'll just stay at home watching old Cure VHS videos... I might get "homesick" anyway if I'd travel so far.  :-D

dsanchez

when you buy a blu-ray player just to watch 40th Anniversary in the highest quality :1f631:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

You know you're Cure fans when you can sum up your household's tea situation like this:

SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

...if you have at least one dusty pink sweater. 😉
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)