2008.02.09 Stockholm - Hovet (Sweden) *Sold Out*

Started by j, September 27, 2007, 16:05:59

Previous topic - Next topic

ernest newman

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cure finish the tour with the euro-festivals circuit, maybe thats what he refers to...big paychecks and maybe then more of the new songs will hit the setlist...they finish in USA early enough to do that.

or robert already knows they will do the festival circuit in 2009

I think whats rough is this is the first tour since I can remember where the new album didnt have an opener and a closer that sets the tone in both directions..even with THE CURE in 2004 we had "Lost" and "the Promise"....if they were going to unveil something like that it would have been tonight in stockholm..

Look at the history

2004 Lost/Promise
2000 Out of this World/Bloodflowers
1996 Want/Bare
1992 Open/End (ie 2005-2007-2008)
1989 Plainsong/Disintegration
1987 Kiss/Fight

2008 Nothing/Nothing

Basically nothing adds up with this record...its good enough to talk double CD set, but nothing stands out enough to open/close and set a tone or even play more than 2-3 new ones in the set. It doesnt add up to more than total lack of confidence in the new stuff, and "Boy I never knew" is a leftover from THE CURE sessions..Kiss me Tour had barely any old songs in it because of the 2 LP format

crowbi_wan

Yeah, I'm thinking they'll do some Euro festivals in July and August.  And what was it you said on dime some time back, a 2012 winery tour?  :smth046 

A few clips...

IBD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__z-UH2eA8o

JLH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wweYqTnfuGk

POY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalRXUtO2tU

closedown

Quote from: MheAd on February 10, 2008, 00:52:52
Just got back from the show. The sound was horrible!!!
Hovet is probably the venue with the worst acoustic in Stockholm-area.

that is definetely not good to hear, typical problem of those Sports Arenas though, as they mostly were built without thinking about staging concerts there, too...
hopefully this will be better on the upcoming shows - Berlin is a strong candidate for horrible sound as wll, though...

I yielded at the festival circuit before, would be quite logical seeing when the US dates are finished - perfect return for July/August festivals...

setlist-wise the show is really lame, looks to me like: hey, we got this tour booked and cannot cancel it, so let's rotate the Mexico songs... the length of the shows is one thing, of course nice try with 3 hours, but to me that isn't everything. so, fingers crossed and hoping the next shows will be a bit more interesting.
the question is - what have they done during all those days between Mexico & Stockholm?

and as others said, major thanks to japanesebaby for keeping us updated!!!

carycameron

Quote from: ernest newman on February 10, 2008, 06:56:43
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cure finish the tour with the euro-festivals circuit, maybe thats what he refers to...big paychecks and maybe then more of the new songs will hit the setlist...they finish in USA early enough to do that.

or robert already knows they will do the festival circuit in 2009

I think whats rough is this is the first tour since I can remember where the new album didnt have an opener and a closer that sets the tone in both directions..even with THE CURE in 2004 we had "Lost" and "the Promise"....if they were going to unveil something like that it would have been tonight in stockholm..

Look at the history

2004 Lost/Promise
2000 Out of this World/Bloodflowers
1996 Want/Bare
1992 Open/End (ie 2005-2007-2008)
1989 Plainsong/Disintegration
1987 Kiss/Fight

2008 Nothing/Nothing

Basically nothing adds up with this record...its good enough to talk double CD set, but nothing stands out enough to open/close and set a tone or even play more than 2-3 new ones in the set. It doesnt add up to more than total lack of confidence in the new stuff, and "Boy I never knew" is a leftover from THE CURE sessions..Kiss me Tour had barely any old songs in it because of the 2 LP format

I wouldn't conclude they have a TOTAL "lack of confidence" in new songs  judging from just one mere concert.  The NA tour was delayed because they wanted to  'change things around', 'incorporate new songs'  according to Robert.  So lets wait and see what they come up with....

Lady

Sorry I wasn't with you last night to attend news about the show, but I had fever again!! :(

I red the tracklist...nothing special but this was just the first show,  I'm sure they'll do something better! :-D
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

budvarka

Prague - 3.8. 1990
Brno - 23.8. 1998
Prague - 12.4. 2000
Prague - 21.2. 2008

budvarka

Inbetween days - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKuE3in5JQ

Im quite impressed how these songs sound withouth keyboards. Quite cool.
Prague - 3.8. 1990
Brno - 23.8. 1998
Prague - 12.4. 2000
Prague - 21.2. 2008

disintegration

Quote from: Lady on February 10, 2008, 10:17:01
I red the tracklist...nothing special but this was just the first show,  I'm sure they'll do something better! :-D
Quote!
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

japanesebaby

hi guys
i'm still in stockholm and have only a few minutes of internet time.
glad to see so many people were following online too :smth023

and yes i got to hear my favorite song again: it seems like every time i go to a cure concert they decide to play 'us or them' - gaa!  :smth011 :-P
anyway...  no regrets for bothering to travel to this gig!  :-D
but let's hope it gets better as the tour continues... all fingers crossed!

will upload pics and stuff and more comments when i get back home (should be sometime very late tonight). ;)

ps. as you know already by now, yes simon was blond - and he was on fire! :rocker
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on February 10, 2008, 14:05:09
ps. as you know already by now, yes simon was blond - and he was on fire! :rocker

Can't wait.. !!    DID YOU SIMON WAS BLONDE??  :shock:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

scatcat

:-D  I was just watching the clips above.. I didn't see them earlier!!

Not bad!  Good to see there are some videos emerging... let's hope there was a taper!!  ;)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

Quote from: budvarka on February 10, 2008, 10:54:02
Close to Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75kOlrE8swg

Must say the quitar work sounds pretty great.

Robert's voice is sounding really great.. like in Melbourne.. maybe the break did them good.. God.. it brings tears to my eyes.. I miss the mebourne gig.. I wish I was there, no matter how the setlist was !!  :smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

Quote from: scatcat on February 10, 2008, 14:21:05
Robert's voice is sounding really great..

I said the same thing when I watched the clips.
Boy, I'm getting really excited now...And I'm sorry I only have tickets to Milan and not to Rome! But I couldn't really swing two shows.
I can't wait for jb's full review!

gioez

I expected something different... but 3H show sounds good.

Marika: THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You sent news in real time!  :smth023
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]