September 23, 2020, 14:58:19

News:

Can't register a new account on curefans.com?
Read this.

Here it is... the book thread!

Started by scatcat, November 30, 2007, 03:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

I'm nearly done with the above book, but have today managed to add three more novels to my towering tsundoku.  One is the next in the Irish detective series by the prize-winning ex-Irish Perth author, Dervla McTiernan; and another is something I wish to re-read because I really enjoyed it several years ago:  Haruki Murakami's Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage.  I wasn't going to have a third, but then laughing Brett read out to me the starting sentence of the novelisation of Dr Who: The Romans (an episode we finished yesterday)...

@Ulrich, do you remember The Withering Letter?  This is very like:

"Dear Sir

I am in reluctant receipt of your insufferable scroll - written, I must remark, on papyrus of so inferior a quality that I can only suppose it to have been selected especially to suit the style of your grammatical construction and the insolence of your tone."

You can't go wrong with an opener like that... :lol:

Anyone else reading anything interesting?

...and I too am still stuck halfway through that Very Short Introduction book on music (but will definitely finish it; it's on an e-reader and therefore a non-partner-disturbing insomnia standby)... and partway in The Soul of an Octopus, and This Changes Everything, and even the bloody Shipping News still, grrrr, I do wish to finish all these...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

A while ago I had a look around in a bookstore... I saw a book, a "classic", of which I thought "one day I might get this". Now I decided I didn't wanna live anymore without having read Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein", so I went and bought it!  :cool
It's never enough...

MeltingMan

I'm a hard copy as well! 😄

Think about what you want to be - human?
A person could hardly fall for it. An angel?
This is boring. A tree? It's too long, too leisurely.
A cow? That is too solid an existence.
No, a cloud - in the late year. I want to be

(Sören Kierkegaard)