Questions/Answers for those taping the 2008 tour

Started by lostflower4, April 03, 2008, 08:35:47

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

I probably should have posted this earlier, but I think this will be helpful for anyone planning to tape the remaining 2008 shows.

1.  Did 65daysofstatic go on stage at the listed showtime?   Earlier?  Later?

2.  How much time is there between the 65dos and Cure sets?

3.  How is the volume of The Cure's show in relation to 65dos?  Similar, louder... ?

I know that Lullaby and certain versions of Why Can't I Be You? were abnormally loud compared to other songs, and this caught some of the tapers of the European shows by surprise â€" so people should be aware of this.

Multiple comments/observations are welcome, as each show may have been different and recollections may vary.

Thanks in advance.

Druide

1.  Did 65daysofstatic go on stage at the listed showtime?   Earlier?  Later?

Often same time

2.  How much time is there between the 65dos and Cure sets?

Maybe 30 to 40 minutes before The Cure

3.  How is the volume of The Cure's show in relation to 65dos?  Similar, louder... ?

A little bit louder

8)

...Dancing in my pocket...

Steve

I didn't notice Lullaby being louder, but WCIBY was shocking. :smth011
I honestly thought someone had bumped into the sound desk really hard when they started it in Rome, as it was just a wall of bass with hint of drums.
But it was the same at Wembley.
I know it's not their best song, but even so.... :roll:

Certainly the Cure were louder. I only caught 65DOS on 2 of the shows & they were a lot quieter I thought.
Which was good as I thought they were pretty average.
The time table is pretty strictly adhered to, at least it was on the 4 I was at.

I would say (& it is apparent in a lot of the recordings around) the bass levels are pretty heavy, like thunder.
Not being an expert in mastering, I guess it's easier to ease off on the bass on a recording rather than artificially adding/enhancing right?
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

seriously, lullaby was very LOUD, they really cranked up the bass there. funny how most people who weren't taping didn't even notice this though. but just check it in the waveform and it really stands out (see attachment: just guess what song's about to start there? that's the end of 'pictures of you' and the beginning of 'lullaby').
so it's definitely wise to leave a good amount of headroom when setting your levels. 

Quote from: Steve on April 03, 2008, 12:34:35
I would say (& it is apparent in a lot of the recordings around) the bass levels are pretty heavy, like thunder.

sure, they are quite strong on bass now. but i really do hope these comments won't encourage people to decide to use excess roll-off or something.:/
bassless/thin recordings from this tour simply won't sound like this tour much at all. there has to be a nice amount of bass on 2008 recordings! otherwise it'll sound like some silly bluegrass band or something.

and it's always simple and easy for everyone themselves to use real-time EQing while listening and take it down as much as they want. but it's impossible to add it on the recording later if you already decided to cut it off with roll-off in the recording process: you can't boost frequencies that weren't even recorded(!).
just make sure your mics can handle the amounts of bass and that the levels aren't too high, to avoid distortion.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Steve

I'm going to have another listen to some of the Lullabys now.
Actually, it does start off pretty thumpy, you're right. Just wasn't as eveident to me as WCIBY really (which was actually almost unlistenable for me).
But, glad I was right about not adding artificial bass enhancements to a lightweight recording.
I learnt that from someone whose recordings I really enjoy.
I guess another guide can be a look at the gear the taper used & try to emulate it if you liked the way it sounded.
& often pay attention to any comments about  where they stood/sat.
You could have an identical rig to someone else, but if you're in the wrong place, the result can be quite different.
Is it possible to pair up with someone & matrix a recording from left with one from right of the stage?
What would be the advantage if any?
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

crowbi_wan

65dos came on 15 minutes early in Merksem.  30-40 minutes for those guys. 

I'd agree that The Cure turn it up a bit.  And Yes, Lullaby is bass heavy and louder.  Give yourself some headroom!  I didn't notice any change in WCIBY, but then I only went to two shows.  Was there an increase in Paris?  Looking at the wave for Merksem, Lullaby is the only one that stands out.

Also, they are running in stereo.  Recording from Simon's side will get you a Simon-heavy tape.  Porl's side seems to be Porl, Robert, and kick drum heavy.       

lostflower4

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 03, 2008, 15:18:24I didn't notice any change in WCIBY, but then I only went to two shows.  Was there an increase in Paris?  Looking at the wave for Merksem, Lullaby is the only one that stands out.

From what I know there were "special" versions of WCIBY with some crazy bass stuff going on. I actually haven't heard any of them yet. Apparently they didn't do this during the first shows of the tour, and only at random thereafter.

Just be prepared, I guess.  :?

Tof

On "one hundred years" the sound is much loud at the end of the song.
and yes Lullaby is bass heavy and louder.
Tof