What´s missing on Join the Dots?

Started by fannwenner, May 06, 2008, 15:12:47

Previous topic - Next topic

fannwenner

OK, so you want to have everything that´s (officially) released by the Cure - on cd, preferrably. So you buy all the deluxe editions, all the live albums and the Join the dots box set. But still, you don´t get everything. This topic is to list (and discuss) those missing items and where to get them. Of course, the deluxe editions have only been release from Three imaginary boys to Kiss me Kiss me Kiss me yet, but anyway...

To start with, I have found the following "missing" items from 1978-1990:

1. Killing an arab (studio version). Get it on: Standing on a beach (SOAB)
2. A forest (live) and Killing an Arab (live) fom The hanging garden. Unavailable on cd (?)
3. Lets go to bed. Get it on: SOAB / Greatest hits
4. Lets go to bed (long version). Get it on: Japanese whispers
5. The walk. Get it on: SOAB / Greatest hits
6. Close to me (single version). Get it on: SOAB / Greatest hits
7. Boys don´t cry (new voice new mix). Unavailable on cd (?)
8. Six different ways (live) and Push (live) from Why cant I be you?. Unavailable on cd (?)
9. Kyoto song (live) and A night like this (live) from Catch. Unavailable on cd (?)
10. Hot hot hot (extended remix and remix). Get it on: Hot hot hot cd single.
11. Lullaby (extended remix). Get it on: Lullaby cd single.
12. Fascination street (extended remix). Get it on: Fascination street cd single.
13. Lovesong (extended mix). Get it on: Lovesong cd single.
14. Pictures of you (strange mix). Get it on: Pictures of you cd single.
15. Never enough. Get it on: Galore / Greatest hits.
16. Never enough (big mix). Get it on: Never enough cd single.
17. Lets go to bed (milk mix). Get it on: Never enough cd single.
18. Close to me (closest mix). Get it on: Close to me 1990 cd single.
19. Primary (red mix). Get it on: Close to me 1990 cd single.
20. Why can´t I be you (extended mix). Get it on: Close to me 1990 cd single.

Corrections and additions very welcome. I haven´t been able to compare the curiosity cassette with the deluxe editions, and I have assumed that the live tracks on Pictures of you are identical to Entreat. I will try to do 1992-2008 later if no-one beats me to it.

And, by the way, are SOAB and Entreat still in print. If not, I am a bit curious why Killing an Arab wasn´t included on the Three imaginary boys remaster or the box set.

mahood

These are the corrections i can think of - not sure of everything though, since i have the tracks on vinyl mainly, & i do it from memory :

Primary extended (12") - not on your list.

Do you mean the extended version ? The single version is on JW ; missing from the 12" is also the fabulous Just One Kiss extended version (there are also two different intros to the "single " version of JOK, on The Walk EP & JW).

The Lovecats extended (12") - not on your list.

Inbetween Days extended (12") - not on your list.

A Japanese Dream extended (12") - not on your list. Another fabulous one.

8. Six different ways (live) and Push (live) from Why cant I be you?. Unavailable on cd (?)
9. Kyoto song (live) and A night like this (live) from Catch. Unavailable on cd (?)
These ones were released on CD-video.

10. Hot hot hot (extended remix and remix). Get it on: Hot hot hot cd single.
11. Lullaby (extended remix). Get it on: Lullaby cd single.
12. Fascination street (extended remix). Get it on: Fascination street cd single.
13. Lovesong (extended mix). Get it on: Lovesong cd single.
16. Never enough (big mix). Get it on: Never enough cd single.
20. Why can´t I be you (extended mix). Get it on: Close to me 1990 cd single.
These ones are also featured on Mixed Up.

World War : on the Deluxe Ed., it's as if it was "demixed" (a new production concept ?) compared to the Boys Don't Cry LP version, to give it the crappy sound Robert Smith thinks this crappy song deserves, i suppose.

About Killing an Arab : obviously it wasn't included on TIB Deluxe for politically correct reasons - a shame IMO.
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

Janko

WHEN THE CURE RELEASES THESE FOUR SINGLES, ALONG WITH 2004 B-SIDES, THEY'LL HAVE ENOUGH MATERIAL FOR ANOTHER JTD CD

PS
I DONT THINK LIVE VERSIONS COUNT!
EXTENDED MIXES NEITHER...
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

mahood

Quote from: Janko on May 06, 2008, 16:57:50

JTD & the Deluxe CDs contain plenty of them --- not the best ones IMO, but this is another problem.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on May 06, 2008, 16:57:50

janko, i think the idea here was simply to list stuff that has been released as b-sides at some point but is not found on the 'join the dots' box set, and just to list it from a collectors' point of view, "where can i find this track?" etc.
whether or not these tracks were "real" b-sides or "just" live versions or remixes is a completely different point of view. 

thanks to mahood for extensive additional info.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

mahood

there are also the different single / video mixes of some songs (the lovecats video mix only appears there), and i forgot hot hot hot !!! remix (not the extended one) and pictures of you (extended mix) on the "purple" single version, different from the dub one on the "green" version & mixed up ; these were available on the 12" & CD versions i guess.
there are probably some other ones unlisted !

carliofandango

There is also the 'extended mix' of Inbetween Days which I believe was only available as a US (or possibly Candadian) 12"

It has a minute longer extra introduction than the normal version.   :)
It can't rain all the time....

Brother Tims

Currently not available on CD:

Killing An Arab (20 of another kind version)
Primary (Extended)
A Forest (Live)
Killing An Arab (Live)
Let's Go To Bed (Extended)
Just One Kiss (Extended)
Hey You!!! (Remix)
Kyoto Song (Live in Orange)
A Night Like This (Live in Orange)
Boys Don't Cry (New Voice New Mix)
Pictures Of You (Extended Remix)
High (Trip Mix)
Uyea Sound
Cloudberry
Off To Sleep
The Three Sisters

At least two tracks have been released on CD, but are incomplete:

The Love Cats (Extended)
Pillbox Tales

Quote from: fannwenner on May 06, 2008, 15:12:47

Wrong! Not available on CD.

8. Six different ways (live) and Push (live) from Why cant I be you?. Unavailable on cd

Wrong! Available on the CDV "Inbetween Days"

Brother Tims

Quote from: mahood on May 06, 2008, 16:01:26
World War : on the Deluxe Ed., it's as if it was "demixed" (a new production concept ?) compared to the Boys Don't Cry LP version, to give it the crappy sound Robert Smith thinks this crappy song deserves, i suppose.

Good to have the original CD release, which includes a clean version of World War. Anyone who is interested can PM me.

japanesebaby

18. Close to me (closest mix). Get it on: Close to me 1990 cd single.

some cd singles have 'closest' mix', some 'closer mix'. depends on the pressing.
(btw if memory serves, there's also some release (a spanish(?) promo(?) or something) that has a funny spelling mistake, stating 'closet mix'. :lol:)

Quote from: Brother Tims on May 08, 2008, 08:54:57

btw what was the remix version of 'pictures of you' that was re-released as a single in 2003 (with 'fear of ghosts' as a b-side)?
i'm not at home so can't check this right now and i seriously can't remember anything else than that at least it wasn't this extended remix, it was shorter. but i also have a faint recollection that the duration of the 2003 version was not the same as the original single mix(?).

fannwenner

Thanks for all help with this. I knew that I had probably made errors and omissions. Especially the remix versions are a jungle. And I really didn´t know about stuff such as Primary 12".

a few stupid questions perhaps:
What is a CDV? Audio+video or audio only?
What is the "20 of another kind" version of Killing an Arab? Are there different versions of this song released?

japanesebaby

Quote from: fannwenner on May 09, 2008, 07:23:19
What is a CDV? Audio+video or audio only?

it was a short-lived format introduced in the late 80s, a kind of combination of cd and laser disc technologies. the confusion is very common but it should not to be confused with VCD (which is a fully digital format), as CDV consisted of analog video (like all laser discs) + digital sound.
you needed to have a CDV compatible laser disc player to play CDVs, but as laser disc alone  never became popular enough format, CDV disappeared in a couple of years.
(i have a few of these, just bought out of curiosity/collecting purposes but as i never did own a laser disc player i was never even able to play the video tracks... :-P)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Video

Brother Tims

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 09, 2008, 09:26:13
i have a few of these, just bought out of curiosity/collecting purposes but as i never did own a laser disc player i was never even able to play the video tracks... :-P

But you can play the audio tracks, which in case of The Cure is the more important thing. It still is the only place where you can get the extended remix of Close To Me, which is also missing on Join The Dots.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Brother Tims on May 09, 2008, 09:33:14
But you can play the audio tracks, which in case of The Cure is the more important thing.

of course, it served as a CD-single anyway. i just meant that back in the old days i had a bit mixed feelings about these releases, as i was kind of annoyed by the idea of having something that i couldn't fully check out - even if the video track was not something special/unique. it simply would have been nice to check out this the new format/new technology but i simply had no possibility to consider going to buy a laser disc player.

Quote from: Brother Tims on May 09, 2008, 09:33:14
It still is the only place where you can get the extended remix of Close To Me, which is also missing on Join The Dots.
[/quote]

correct!

sues777

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 08, 2008, 09:18:16
Quote from: Brother Tims on May 08, 2008, 08:54:57

btw what was the remix version of 'pictures of you' that was re-released as a single in 2003 (with 'fear of ghosts' as a b-side)?
i'm not at home so can't check this right now and i seriously can't remember anything else than that at least it wasn't this extended remix, it was shorter. but i also have a faint recollection that the duration of the 2003 version was not the same as the original single mix(?).

I bought this single in 2003 and have just checked it out again - it's the same version of Pictures of You that's on Galore (so I'd say it's the same as the original single mix(?)).  From memory Pictues of You was re-released as a single as it was included on the soundtrack of an Aus film - think the film was called One Perfect Day but can't really remember.  This re-release isn't included in the Discography section of the offical site. 
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show