Hypnagogic States (the september EP)

Started by [labyrinth], July 24, 2008, 18:19:51

Previous topic - Next topic

tigermilk

I'm still finding it hard to get my head around this Emo-EP. Yuk!

Gang of Four and Bloc Party released CDs with remixes of their songs by various bands, like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ladytron, Amusement Parks on Fire among many others, and they were great remixes.

Why are The Cure going with these crap emo bands? Just so they can get new 15 year old fans? Why not stay true to the original fans?? Argghhh!

crowbi_wan

Quote from: tigermilk on August 19, 2008, 05:19:29
Ladytron

Nice!

I'd like to hear a Ladytron remix of some Cure song.   :smth023

othervoices

Take care if ordering from HMV.com -  :!:

The hypnagogic state ep cover has been used to promote the new album (£8.99) - the link for the ep pre-order is further down the HMV webpage:

Hypnagogic State: Ep
Cure

Release date: 15-9-2008 - pre order now

CDS £2.99 Free Delivery

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 25, 2008, 06:46:59
Hypnagogic States is a pun -- sort of. The US reference is clear from the picture he posted, but I wouldn't assume just yet that that is the EP artwork. It doesn't seem particularly Parched Art to me, but then I'm just a guy on a board; what do I know? Let's wait and see.

Agree 100% with this post...
"prone to flights of whimsy"

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: othervoices on August 25, 2008, 13:49:57
Take care if ordering from HMV.com -  :!:

The hypnagogic state ep cover has been used to promote the new album (£8.99) - the link for the ep pre-order is further down the HMV webpage:

Hypnagogic State: Ep
Cure

Release date: 15-9-2008 - pre order now

CDS £2.99 Free Delivery

I haven't as yet gone this route - pre-ordering, but cheers for making me aware of this! I've been using HMV for all the singles, and so far no issues... Thanks for the heads up!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

Carnage Visor

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on July 26, 2008, 23:46:39
I mean hes an Earthling!!! It should be EARTH CRASH GODDAMNIT!!!

Earth Crash... sounds like a sports drink for environmentalists

Yeah, it does!  :D

I don't think he meant "Piss off, America!" I just think it's kind of like an ironic pun of some sort. It's a remix EP, does that mean the songs on it have already been released?

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on August 12, 2008, 15:04:48
I have no clue what people expect? All of the new songs, either studio or live, are so much better than crap like "Cut here", "Just say yes" or "the end of the world", not even to mention album tracks like "Never".

Well, you could be right about 'Cut Here' or 'Just Say Yes'... but then we didn't have to endure those on a Cure studio album. As for 'The end of the world', I think that it is a kind-of-nice-pop-song that, frankly, could have come from exactly the same sessions as the new 2008 pop stuff... I can't understand what makes these new songs better...

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 10, 2008, 11:13:04

one of my biggest concerns now is not the upcoming album but the remaining deluxe remasters i don't expect anything from the upcoming album now, actually. and before you get that all wrong: actually i'm quite convinced that the music will be good but i'm so terminally scared of the production/mastering issues that i don't want to think about it). i can only pray that the next deluxe box coming up in the series won't be remastered by the same monkey that did the recent singles. and to add to the irony, of course the next one in the series has to be 'disintegration'.... huh.

Well, look on the bright side of it: 'Disintegration' doesn't really need any re-mastering of any kind. The original CD version you probably have in your hands is perfect as it is. The main interest of the De-luxe version will be finding out previously unreleased material, but I think (it's only a guess) that probably there aren't any unrealesed gems from that era.

revolt

Quote from: Lady on August 13, 2008, 15:27:02
Quote from: Trust... on August 11, 2008, 12:35:59
I think that many fans starred blind at the albums in the past, but come on be open for new stuff, it's called innovation
Yeah and imho this is one of the biggest problems: we often judge the new songs thinking about the old albums and in this prospective (I must be honest!) all the new stuff seems not so good. But is it right to judge the new songs from that point of view? I think we need to understand and accept that we can't wait for a new "disintegration", "17 sec", etc..(it's always the same, I know), those times are gone and everything goes on. We can't ask Robert to "repeat himself", I know it's hard, neither I can't still appreciate the new stuff completely, but we must try to be opened to the innovation :)

Yeah, but none of the new songs so far has anything about it that could remotely be described as "innovation"... So it's only natural that we start comparing them with older Cure stuff. For myself, I would certainly prefer The Cure to release a truly innovative album than 'Disintegration Part 3'. Even though I really wouldn´t mind this last type, specially if it would sound less tired than 'Bloodflowers'.

tigermilk

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on August 12, 2008, 15:04:48
All of the new songs, either studio or live, are so much better than crap like "Cut here", "Just say yes" or "the end of the world", not even to mention album tracks like "Never". No surprise to see the best Cure single in ages (The perfect boy) getting mainly harsh responses here. That's really frustrating. But wait, the uninspired "Your god is fear" is an excellent song, right?

'Cut Here' is brilliant! And 'The End Of The World' is great too. Personally I wish the new stuff sounded more like those songs. It's true, Cure fans are very hard to please, and it's always going to be that way. In my opinion I loved the self titled album, and I wish the new stuff sounded as good as that.
Songs like 'Anniversary', 'Labryrinth' and 'This Morning' are timeless tracks for me. And I would rather listen to them than any of the new tracks. This is unfortunate, but I'm still looking forward to the album nevertheless. I'm sure it will still be a great listen from beginning to end. I'm even looking forward to the EP when at first it almost made me feel sick!! I've finally overlooked the "emo remix" thing, and I'm really interested in seeing what they're going to do... make them better or worse? It will definately be interesting...

Secrets

I must confess I am still baffled by the point of this EP.

carycameron

Quote from: Secrets on September 01, 2008, 15:48:24
I must confess I am still baffled by the point of this EP.

I believe it was to help appease the fans disappointed by another delay as the album was intended to release on sept 13 originally.  Robert has stated all sales proceeds from the release are being donated to international red cross.

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 01, 2008, 12:04:30
Well, look on the bright side of it: 'Disintegration' doesn't really need any re-mastering of any kind. The original CD version you probably have in your hands is perfect as it is.

yes, you're 100% right about that.
i meant waiting for the possible unreleased material on the bonus disc, but perhaps it's a fool's hope. i was already pretty disappointed with the KMKMKM bonus disc as i'm not keen on demos (unless they are really something new and demos for unreleased songs). and because being a live music fan i find it annoying that they included a few live tracks there as teasers, instead of simply releasing a complete friggin' soundboard!
so perhaps there's very little hope there that some gems like '2 late' migth emerge. but you can always dream about it....  :-D
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

firecrasher

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 10, 2008, 12:35:22
then have a look at the two screenshots attached.
the first one's "healthy sound" from times when the cure was produced well, with love and care.
the second one's from 'all kinds of things'. i think you should see how the latter one has been damaged. see how part of the dynamic range (look at the edges and imagine how the peaks there should be like, like they are in the "healthy" image) has been cut off already in the studio? the 2008 image looks just like one big block of constant volume.

Is that actual clipping in the waveform or just at peak volume?

I use a set of studio master headphones with my iPod and Freakshow clips so badly :(
[i]so this is permanence... love's shattered pride...[/i]

cure_kitty

The Official just put up a countdown for the EP with a short clip of "The Only One".  Nothing to get all to excited about yet but it gives you a little hint of what to expect. It's OK but I'll wait till I hear the whole thing before I say anything else.  :)