Depeche Mode - Tour of the Universe 2009

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 18:29:01

Previous topic - Next topic

mike65

:!:

Just got back from the "Arvika Festival"(Sweden).
And I must say that they did a good show,But they shortened the Set with
6 songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That left a bitter taste in my mouth i must say.
I went there to watch "Master and Servant" and "Strange Love", which I don´t think they´ve played since 1990.
And then they just cut the tracks from the set, It really pisses me of  :smth011.
If someone has any idea of why they did that,please let me know....
(maybe they were just in a hurry to get to the next gig,but....)
If I´d know, I would have tried to get tickets to some other show.
And on top I bought a vocher to buy the Arvika show Live,and now i´m thinking about changing date and take some other show instead.

cheers Michael

japanesebaby

Quote from: mike65 on July 06, 2009, 19:47:38
I went there to watch "Master and Servant" and "Strange Love", which I don´t think they´ve played since 1990.
And then they just cut the tracks from the set, It really pisses me of  :smth011.

so you saw the planned set list written down before/after the show?
anyway that really sucks. if they had to cut something, they could have cut some other tracks, some newer once - well just my opinion of course.

btw at some point i was remotely considering going to arvika but then decided not to as a lot better concert opportunities appeared in location closer to me/easier and cheaper for me to go to. it looks like i'm more and more not regretting that decision.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

scatcat

Quote from: mike65 on July 06, 2009, 19:47:38
:!:

(maybe they were just in a hurry to get to the next gig,but....)
If I´d know, I would have tried to get tickets to some other show.
And on top I bought a vocher to buy the Arvika show Live,and now i´m thinking about changing date and take some other show instead.

cheers Michael

bummer Michael :cry:

I loved Depeche Mode.. they were pinned up on my wall, when I was a teen, along with The Cure,Eurythmics, DuranDuran ( no sloggoning me now, ok?!), Culture Club.. Pseudo Echo ( hello Aussie fans!  :smth006  ).. all the bands who wore make-up..  :?

BUT... THE TOUR OF THE UNIVERSE??  did they plan on travelling to Mars, or Saturn..? I guess they'd just stop off at Uranus and pay homage to poor old de-planetised Pluto...
:smth089

A grain of salt.  :smth023

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Quote from: scatcat on July 08, 2009, 15:45:18
BUT... THE TOUR OF THE UNIVERSE??  did they plan on travelling to Mars, or Saturn..? I guess they'd just stop off at Uranus and pay homage to poor old de-planetised Pluto...
:smth089

yeah, i was wondering about the same (http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5871.msg60022.html#msg60022) - quite bold from them haha

it's a bit like with the miss universe competition. i wouldn't be so sure some tentacled creatures in the planet pfrggyythxZZ! in the galazy NGC 6218 would agree with our ideas of female beauty... :lol: especially since we mostly can't agree even amongst ourselves.

nice to see you around scatcat  :)

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 08, 2009, 15:55:55

it's a bit like with the miss universe competition. i wouldn't be so sure some tentacled creatures in the planet pfrggyythxZZ! in the galazy NGC 6218 would agree with our ideas of female beauty... :lol: especially since we mostly can't agree even amongst ourselves.

nice to see you around scatcat  :)

:smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Trust...

My tickets arrived today, I'm so happy that I'm gonna see them in Jnauary 2010  :rocker :rocker :rocker
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Trust...

Quote from: dsanchez on June 21, 2009, 23:29:08
Depeche mode in Milano, 18 june

Look at that awesome crowd, all italians singing along, great atmosphere!

Looking forward this saturday in Paris!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JHMzdvdal4&hl=es&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JHMzdvdal4&hl=es&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why we don't hear anything about the gig  :(

crowbi_wan

Trust...

Thanks for the pictures crowbi_wan!!  :smth023

I was just reading this on COF  :(

Curse of the Universe strikes again

DM have been forced to cancel their show in Mountain View, Ca. on Aug. 12th. Get well soon, Dave.

So sad news  :(

Trust...

othervoices

I've just got back from Chicago - The Lollapalooza performance was stunning!!!!

mike65

:D :-D

Thanks for the VERY nice pictures.

How was the show do you think?
As I´m going to try to get tickets to the Stockholm or Gothenburg shows,
we will see how that goes,My son will give it a go.Keeping my fingers crossed
and hope for the best.
there will be about 10 000 - 12 000 tickets per night, and there is usually a huge demand.....

Btw You didn´t Have you´re taping gear with you did you?
    I really ENJOY listening to recordings that you´ve made earlier...

cheers Michael

japanesebaby

news dates for early 2010 were added some time ago, including scandinavia, poland and russia.

http://www.depechemode.com/tour.html

three dates in sweden - wow.
i hope 2010 would be free of cancellations. i saw someone suggesting that martin gore should sing more songs (was probably on COF), but personally i feel the less songs sung by him, definitely the better.

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 27, 2009, 06:09:11i saw someone suggesting that martin gore should sing more songs (was probably on COF), but personally i feel the less songs sung by him, definitely the better.

I agree. I don't think Martin is a bad singer, but something just strikes me as "wrong" when he sings lead. Strange, because I think his background vocals are perfectly suited for their music.

It could just be that "his" songs are not as good, but I  really he just doesn't have the right voice to be a lead singer.  :?:

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on August 28, 2009, 18:12:46
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 27, 2009, 06:09:11i saw someone suggesting that martin gore should sing more songs (was probably on COF), but personally i feel the less songs sung by him, definitely the better.

I agree. I don't think Martin is a bad singer, but something just strikes me as "wrong" when he sings lead. Strange, because I think his background vocals are perfectly suited for their music.

It could just be that "his" songs are not as good, but I  really he just doesn't have the right voice to be a lead singer.  :?:

totally agree about background vocals. by the way maybe it's a bit like the edge and bono: people often focus on bono's singing but the edge's backing vocals are really essential for u2's vocal sound. it's the same with DM i think, martin's backing vocals are really a quite essential part of their sound. 

for me it also might be bout the quality of the songs he sings: even if i imagined dave singing those songs i'm not sure i'd still really care about those songs. then again there's plenty of Dm songs that i've always thought are really not that good, many sung by dave too. just meant that i don't know any really striking songs 8from the songwriting point of view) sung by martin.