guitars [lost flowers spin-off]

Started by Matti, February 06, 2009, 11:01:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

... and just to breathe a  bit of life into an old thread: seems like Schecter has two surprises waiting for anyone interested in a Bass VI alternative.

Spring 2012 will see both a Robert Smith Ultra Cure VI (as seen on COF) and an updated version of the Hellcat VI (see here). Both of them will actually come with Seymour Duncan Vintage Jaguar single coil PUs, so they'll be even closer to the original Fender sound...
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

perfect_as_cats

Fender recently gave the VI a do-over for their Pawn Shop series. The new Bass VI sports a Jazzmaster soapbar pickup in the bridge. A bit interesting actually, as Robert made heavy use of a jazzmaster for most of The Cure's work.
"There is no always- forever, just this. Just this.."

Matti

I have to admit I was quite hyped when I saw this, but I'll stick with my Hellcat VI (the old model). Apart from the PUs and the bridge, they're basically the same, especially when it comes to the PU selector. Btw. the bridge PU is not a Jazzmaster style P90, but a JZHB humbucker.

But apart from all this: if anyone's contemplating the purchase of a VI-type instrument, now's the time. There's so many models out there as it seems...
to dream a boy and girl

kenstee

Quote from: Matti on December 05, 2011, 09:15:50
... and just to breathe a  bit of life into an old thread: seems like Schecter has two surprises waiting for anyone interested in a Bass VI alternative.

Spring 2012 will see both a Robert Smith Ultra Cure VI (as seen on COF) and an updated version of the Hellcat VI (see here). Both of them will actually come with Seymour Duncan Vintage Jaguar single coil PUs, so they'll be even closer to the original Fender sound...

The new pick-ups TOTALLY blow the old ones in the original Hellcat VI away. Those cheap-o, bottom of the line Duncan mini-hums were totally inappropriate for this type of instrument. Very muddy and ill-defined sounding. Bottom-line...The 2012 version 2 of the Hellcat VI is a fantastic upgrade, well worth it. Far superior top-of-the-line Seymour Duncan SJAG-1 pups, better electronics (with treble bleed cap,) and individual On/Off switches for each pup. Makes a major difference in sound.

kenstee

Quote from: Matti on March 31, 2013, 19:22:37But apart from all this: if anyone's contemplating the purchase of a VI-type instrument, now's the time. There's so many models out there as it seems...

If you want a truly inexpensive VI here they are...for roughly HALF the cost of an (imo VASTLY overpriced) Fender PSVI!! http://www.rondomusic.com/argustoaskbk.html or http://www.rondomusic.com/argustoastsg.html

Other options for less than US$800 are offered by Schecter, Eastwood, Burns and Agile/Rondo.

kenstee

Quote from: perfect_as_cats on March 30, 2013, 10:00:26
Fender recently gave the VI a do-over for their Pawn Shop series. The new Bass VI sports a Jazzmaster soapbar pickup in the bridge. A bit interesting actually, as Robert made heavy use of a jazzmaster for most of The Cure's work.

It IS NOT a Jazzmaster pup! It is a cheaper hum (actually 2 stacked single coils) in a JM-looking soapbar case. Don't fall for the misleading hype.

perfect_as_cats

Quote from: kenstee on April 01, 2013, 05:28:14

It IS NOT a Jazzmaster pup! It is a cheaper hum (actually 2 stacked single coils) in a JM-looking soapbar case. Don't fall for the misleading hype.

Thanks for that. n.n I almost blew my last few paychecks on the reissue.
"There is no always- forever, just this. Just this.."

kenstee

Quote from: perfect_as_cats on April 01, 2013, 22:00:24
Quote from: kenstee on April 01, 2013, 05:28:14

Thanks for that. n.n I almost blew my last few paychecks on the reissue.

Get  the newer, 2012 version of the Schecter Hellcat VI instead.......same cost, much better product

Matti

I second that, Ken. Other than that, there's also a Japanese reissue of Fender's VI which seems to be a true replica of the old model (PUs and four switches, the new HCVI has only three).

And just to strike a blow for the old HCVI - I haven't heard the new model and can't really say anything about the PU quality, but I can get it to sound exactly as I want it to, and with the HB/SC option there's a wider variety of sounds you can get.
to dream a boy and girl