Why Robert resung many of the of the "rarities" in the Deluxe editions?

Started by cure89, May 10, 2010, 08:57:42

Previous topic - Next topic

cure89

Just listened to "Out Of Mind" version from disc 3 of the "Disintegration" deluxe 3CD on amazon.co.uk. For me Robert's voice sounds not like 1989 ... more as a re-sung version from 2009 or 2010. He already done such things on demos of the "The Glove" deluxe vesion. What's your opionion about that?

PoD

I agree that it osunds at times very much like a studio re-recording of the vocals. But I'm still not sure if that's the case or just a stellar remastering job.

Here's a review of the remasterd edition by the way:
http://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7537&Itemid=44

japanesebaby

Quote from: cure89 on May 10, 2010, 08:57:42
Just listened to "Out Of Mind" version from disc 3 of the "Disintegration" deluxe 3CD on amazon.co.uk. For me Robert's voice sounds not like 1989 ... more as a re-sung version from 2009 or 2010. He already done such things on demos of the "The Glove" deluxe vesion. What's your opionion about that?

yes i think it's totally obvious, it's a re-sung version - again. too bad. t least i would have rather heard some genuine stuff from the disintegration era, whether or not it has vocals.
weird. i don't understand why robert has to pretend the vocals are the original ones.  :? :?:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

cure89

Very stange. No problem with that if there would be a statement "vocals re-sung in 2009". I really feel like I've been taken for a fool in a way ...

japanesebaby

Quote from: cure89 on May 25, 2010, 09:28:28
Very stange. No problem with that if there would be a statement "vocals re-sung in 2009". I really feel like I've been taken for a fool in a way ...

yes, i feel the same.

i just got my cd copy and it only says: "Out Of Mind - studio rough (guide vocal) 11/88

all the other tracks labeled as studio rough also say "guide vocal", even though they are not resung.

i don't understand robert's idea, why fool the fans? :?:

cure89

Is the same as with The Glove deluxe edition. It's so obvious that the vocals are overdubs and the style of singing is so different from 1983/1989. I don't like this "new style" very much ... An instrumental version of "Out Of Mind" would be okay as well.

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 25, 2010, 09:51:41
Quote from: cure89 on May 25, 2010, 09:28:28

yes, i feel the same.

i just got my cd copy and it only says: "Out Of Mind - studio rough (guide vocal) 11/88

all the other tracks labeled as studio rough also say "guide vocal", even though they are not resung.

i don't understand robert's idea, why fool the fans? :?:

I don't get it either, it's pretty obvious. "Unfortunately" I don't think Steve Severin will be around this time to give some BS explanation about the old vocals being "enhanced" to sound new.  :roll:

And now I'm starting to wonder if some of the other so-called guide tracks here are new, although it's probably just a paranoid idea. ;)  Then again, it's hard to be sure on something like Lullaby (whispering) and Delirious Night (just vocal "noises")...

I was even starting to think that maybe the alternate Plainsong had been re-recorded, but in that case I think Robert would have been doing a very good of impression of his younger voice, which I don't think he can do.  8)

Anyway, I'm just glad that it this wasn't a more widespread problem on the rarities disc, and that most of the instrumentals were left alone (as they should be!)  :!:

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 26, 2010, 20:30:29
"Unfortunately" I don't think Steve Severin will be around this time to give some BS explanation about the old vocals being "enhanced" to sound new.  :roll:

seriously, how stupid do their think their fans are?  :roll:

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 26, 2010, 20:30:29And now I'm starting to wonder if some of the other so-called guide tracks here are new, although it's probably just a paranoid idea. ;)  Then again, it's hard to be sure on something like Lullaby (whispering) and Delirious Night (just vocal "noises")...

i can't help wondering that either, regardless of whether there's reason for it or not. but when you realize you've been cheated once, it's natural to become suspicious.

and that's really not the feeling i wanted to have when listening to this long-awaited release....  :?

ofthedeepgreensea

this "guide vocal" stuff has been really really bothering me since i first gave the blue sunshine remaster a good listen.  and i'm glad some of you guys seem to agree, since there are definitely cure fans elsewhere who refuse to believe that vocal is new.

i would love to believe it isn't, but it is just so so obvious to me.  i don't think it's just out of mind, i think it's definitely last dance and lullaby also.

i would have zero problem with this if it just said that the vocals were from 2009 instead of mismarketing it.

otherwise, enjoying my remaster.
"it's just the way i smile," you said..

japanesebaby

Quote from: ofthedeepgreensea on June 08, 2010, 15:48:19since there are definitely cure fans elsewhere who refuse to believe that vocal is new.

i hear you.
it's pretty odd sometimes, what the power of denial can do. people insist on something because they want to believe it's true.
and god forbid if you say those kind of things aloud on some wrong place/forum - the bashing you get for it, just by voicing the truth.

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 08, 2010, 20:30:54
Quote from: ofthedeepgreensea on June 08, 2010, 15:48:19since there are definitely cure fans elsewhere who refuse to believe that vocal is new.

i hear you.
it's pretty odd sometimes, what the power of denial can do. people insist on something because they want to believe it's true.
and god forbid if you say those kind of things aloud on some wrong place/forum - the bashing you get for it, just by voicing the truth.

So I just found myself listening to Disc 2 of the Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me remaster...

I was really enjoying it, having not heard most of it in at least a year. Then, toward the end I saw the words "rough vocal mix" coming up and my heart sank a little, just out of recent habit.  :eek:

And as soon as each of those three tracks started playing, it became immediately obvious that these have all been re-sung as well.  :smth011

I can't say why I didn't notice this before, but I do know that my ears have become much keener recently, just from "training" them I suppose. And that can be both a blessing and a curse, obviously.  :?

cure89

@lostflower4: You are talking about "Disintegration" not "Kiss Me", aren't you?

btw ...

Here's another review. Unfortunately in German only ...
http://www.n-tv.de/panorama/lesenhoeren/The-Cure-sind-immer-noch-Eighties-article922346.html

lostflower4

Quote from: cure89 on July 06, 2010, 08:46:21

The demo versions of A Thousand Hours, Icing Sugar, and One More Time all have re-sung vocals.  :oops:

cure89

OK :(. Will listen to it today ...

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 06, 2010, 09:06:47
Quote from: cure89 on July 06, 2010, 08:46:21

The demo versions of A Thousand Hours, Icing Sugar, and One More Time all have re-sung vocals.  :oops:

huh :? (i do have to confess i never really gave that bonus disc a proper listen, apart from the live tracks.)
this is surely really poor, having these resung versions on several bonus discs now. it's like he's got into a bad habit.

for the life of me i just can't understand why robert would need to try ad hide the fact that they are resung. it really bothers me for some reason  :smth017
(heh at least now i know what to post on the thread "what one question would you ask of robert if you got the chance?" ;))