Author Topic: Former Cure Drummer Lol Tolhurst Slams Peter Hook's 'Sold Out' Accusations  (Read 4430 times)

Offline cure89

• Beginner
Don't know if this was already posted here somewhere ... if yes, sorry  :).

http://www.spinner.com/2013/02/01/the-cure-peter-hook-joy-division-sold-out/

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
Lol has a point here. The Cure were at the beginning of their career back in '79... The "darker" albums weren't even written yet. I can hear a Joy Division influence on "Faith" (while it still sounds like The Cure). So if Peter Hook were talking about 1983 or so, I might be able to understand his point of view (but then again, Hook was in New Order at this time, they were enjoying "pop success" too with Blue Monday)... I don't know, somehow I get the impression he's lost the plot.  :?
but memory's not life... and it's not love.

Offline mooki

• Staff Member
  • Beginner
  • stranger
New Order always has hated the Cure since they "stole" their songs. Immature

Offline PearlThompsonsBloodflowers

• P E A R L T H O M P S O N
  • Curefan
New Order always has hated the Cure since they "stole" their songs. Immature

I thought they liked The Cure thou Ik of the accusations mate.

I am a HUGE New Order fan atm n I must say that is immature of them, seriously they need to grow the f*** up, nobody is copying anybody here, n that is not what The Cure intended to do in there music at all.
Let's play Twister, let's play Risk (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
See you heaven if you make the list (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
I thought they liked The Cure thou

Yes, I think they do. I seem to remember an interview with Robert in which he mentions meeting them (minus Peter Hook, who was out of the band) backstage at a festival (2012?), if I can find it I'll post it here...

This might be interesting too:
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8142.msg762082#msg762082

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
Now I found what I was looking for!

The Cure’s dressing room is at the end of a corridor next to tonight’s headliners, New Order. For most of the evening the door is tight shut, but at one point that other blond singer of the Sumner clan, Bernard, pops out and hollers, “Hello, Robert!” and the two have an enormously cheery chat; grizzled veterans still in the trenches, still topping the bills. It is an utterly disarming moment.
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2012/07/robert-smith-interview-with-word.html

Check here for Robert's favourite New Order songs!
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2015/10/roberts-favorite-new-order-songs.html

Also interesting:
http://www.cristinarocks.com/2013/03/robert-smith-talks-new-lp-joy.html
"Although the Cure and New Order...we come from the same age and everything but Peter Hook always had a real big problem with us because our bassist Simon Gallup was so much better looking and the better bass player...I think Peter was so jealous he could never get over it and he stopped the rest of them from being friendly...

"...we've bumped into them over the years, and since he's left, we've played with New Order a few times in the last summer and it's so nice to be able to chat with them, you know, to talk with them because I've always loved New Order I think they're one of the best bands - they also have a fantastic back catalog and they like us, it's so nice to say to Bernard  [Sumner] "I like your band" and he says "I like yours as well" and...it's taken an awful long time to say hello again to them. They're a good example of a band that gets better as they get older. They were fantastic when we played with them last year and we're playing again with them this year at a couple of festivals."

Offline Fabien G

• Newfan
thanks Ulrich

Offline A Strange Girl

• Beginner

Peter Hook always had a real big problem with us because our bassist Simon Gallup was so much better looking and the better bass player...I think Peter was so jealous he could never get over it and he stopped

Friends as long as Hook is not in the band then!  :D
...I think you come from another world...

Offline PearlThompsonsBloodflowers

• P E A R L T H O M P S O N
  • Curefan

Peter Hook always had a real big problem with us because our bassist Simon Gallup was so much better looking and the better bass player...I think Peter was so jealous he could never get over it and he stopped

Friends as long as Hook is not in the band then!  :D

LMAO yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Let's play Twister, let's play Risk (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
See you heaven if you make the list (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)