April 10, 2020, 13:34:05

News:

Please consider making a donation to help to sustain curefans. Learn more.

How was your day?

Started by Ulrich, December 21, 2013, 13:44:09

Previous topic - Next topic

How was your day?

great
0 (0%)
okay
4 (100%)
not okay
0 (0%)
bad
0 (0%)
too bad
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: December 24, 2013, 13:44:09

Ulrich

Thank you both for your kind posts!  :smth023
It must be really hard for the close relatives (they already lost the father years ago).  :1f62a:
If only I'd thought of the right words...

Ulrich

Stormy wind and lots of snow tonight, thus I had to clear the driveway from tons of snow...
Result: driveway clear
2 sweaty t-shirts
1 sweaty jumper
1 wet pair of boots
1 wet me...
drinking lots of water & coffee now...

SueC

It's funny you should say that, @Ulrich, because I had an email from a 75-year-old lady in Sweden today who told me that after thinking they weren't going to have a real winter, suddenly they have tonnes of snow!  This lady also happened to have written some fabulous children's books in the 1970s and she was my Shakespeare when I was in primary school.  I read her books to tatters.  I still read them sometimes - she wrote a long series, which was translated into German.  And she's been sending me Christmas cards for the last five years or so, which if you went and told my younger self that it was going to happen, I would never have believed.  But there you go.

I notice the voting for this has closed.  I would have voted "great" despite the fact that it was humid and horrible again with thunderstorms brewing but not actually making lightning and rain (yet?) and despite the fact that I spent a lot of it scrubbing the house before the long weekend.  I actually felt like scrubbing the floor, and this is such a rare phenomenon that I decided to exploit it to the full.  The floor now sparkles, and smells of natural lavender oil (used in hot water to mop instead of cleaning products).

Three lovely guests arrived for the weekend and I made Spaghetti Marinara for all of us.  We had apple/blueberry strudel with custard and cream for afters.  It's the start of apple harvest for us so I'm planning on making another strudel tomorrow, since it uses up 1.5 kg of apples in one hit.  We've got a Granny Smith apple tree and a Sundowner yielding like mad this year, and a small Cox' Orange Pippin, and two little espaliered trees - a Lady Williams and a Jonathan.

We also have a pear tree yielding for the first time and it's festooned with pears!  Tomorrow night, one of our guests is making us a traditional Chinese dessert that involves pears, ginger and rice, which is apparently a really festive dish, so I'm looking forward to that.

After dinner, we had a walk in the bushland to stargaze, and everyone oohed and aahed over the clarity of the Milky Way in our remote location, and the fact that you can't hear any engines at night (very occasionally you can hear a distant train if the wind comes from a particular direction).  We did hear a lot of crickets!  When we got back to the house, there was a motorbike frog trying to get into the front guest room through the French door, which has an insect curtain that these frogs have been trying to slip under!  He was a cute one, and had his picture taken by the guests, but I don't think anyone kissed him. :yum:  So I suppose we will never know now if he was really a prince.  :angel

Spot the frog:

These guys change colour to camouflage themselves.  They're green and gold amongst foliage, but look what happens when they sneak into your greenhouse:

Trying to blend in there is a different proposition.
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on February 28, 2020, 16:03:17This lady also happened to have written some fabulous children's books in the 1970s and she was my Shakespeare when I was in primary school.  I read her books to tatters.  I still read them sometimes - she wrote a long series, which was translated into German.  And she's been sending me Christmas cards for the last five years or so, which if you went and told my younger self that it was going to happen, I would never have believed.  But there you go.

I know this feeling. Sometimes I had to pinch myself (wondering if I were dreaming)...
But still: I want more. Why? Because it's never enough!

Quote from: SueC on February 28, 2020, 16:03:17I notice the voting for this has closed.

Yeah, I chose to revive an old topic - on second thought I should've just posted into the "What's on your mind?" thread as usual. Sorry!

SueC

I don't think apologies are necessary - people can still "vote" by stating how they would have voted!  :)

Would you like a special award for your Cure pun?  :angel
SueC is time travelling