August 14, 2020, 07:14:18

News:

Please consider making a donation to help to sustain curefans. Learn more.

How are you staying sane(ish) during the current pandemic?

Started by SueC, March 24, 2020, 11:48:24

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

This has got to be the most inspirational and fabulous thing I have read all year.   :heart-eyes  :heart-eyes  :heart-eyes  :cool  :cool  :cool  :beaming-face  :smth023  :)

James Lovelock - the person who invented the Gaia hypothesis - is about to turn 101, is still mentally extraordinary and has done a whole lot more amazing stuff in his life than I was aware of before reading this wonderful interview with him.   :heart-eyes

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/18/james-lovelock-the-biosphere-and-i-are-both-in-the-last-1-per-cent-of-our-lives

...and his comment on establishment science is so spot on:

QuoteLatour believes the establishment struggles to accept your ideas because they are such a conceptual leap. He believes the shift from Galileo to Gaia is as big as that from Aristotle to Galileo. But very different, of course. While Galileo opened exploration into an infinite universe, you revealed we are in a closed, very precarious system that we need to stabilise. Do you think people are willing to acknowledge this?

I would love to be able to speak to Galileo to understand how he felt. We were both loners who met a lot of opposition. I think Galileo's problem was largely with the church rather than people at large. It was so contrary to their dogma that they hated it. I have felt for some time that the universities are getting dangerously like the early church. They have dozens of different sects and they are quite proud if you belong to one of them: if you are a chemist you often don't know anything about biology and so on. This is why ordinary university science is not really helpful because the department looking at seaweed would not be the same as the one looking at methyl iodide. It is a division into bits. It's time universities were revolutionised and had much more common thinking. It's amazing how much objection there is to Gaia. I'm wondering to what extent you can put that down to the coal and oil industries who fought against any kind of message that would be bad for them.
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

https://www.rrr.org.au/on-demand/segments/the-australian-mood-hugo-race-on-keeping-creative-in-lockdown

QuoteHugo says that being in lockdown has resulted in multiple new ventures that weren't a part of his previous life on the road. Says Hugo, "Part of what I do is internationalism - going to other places, collaborating with other people, doing it in person - and that's what I've been doing for many, many years. So the pandemic is the complete nemesis of everything that I do."

Hugo continues to work with the other members of The True Spirit, who are also locked down in Melbourne, and a new album, Starburst, will be released later this year. But the entire album will also feature a video for each track, edited by Hugo who says that "extending his skills into video editing has been a necessity, but it's also a great extension of what we were already doing".
If only I'd thought of the right words...

word_on_a_wing

Thanks Sue,
Yep Melbourne is back in lockdown, and masks are mandatory now. 
Interesting times, and a bit worrying, though I can't complain compared to other countries.

On a plus side, I dreamt about The Cure last night... only vague snippets of the dream remain but what I recall is they were arriving on a train and myself and many others were standing on the platform ready to board. As the train went past the platform I seemed able to see through it and saw the band plus what seemed like family and friends with them
...so where is this train going? I don't know 🤔
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on July 23, 2020, 14:08:04Thanks Sue,
Yep Melbourne is back in lockdown, and masks are mandatory now. 
Interesting times, and a bit worrying, though I can't complain compared to other countries.

The numbers look bad, but of course could be far worse.  I hold my breath each day before the numbers come out at morning briefing.  Wishing you luck in Melbourne.

Have you got a cute mask?  A friend from Taiwan has really cute masks, with teddy bears and everything.  :cool

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on July 23, 2020, 14:08:04On a plus side, I dreamt about The Cure last night... only vague snippets of the dream remain but what I recall is they were arriving on a train and myself and many others were standing on the platform ready to board. As the train went past the platform I seemed able to see through it and saw the band plus what seemed like family and friends with them
...so where is this train going? I don't know 🤔

The journey is more important than the destination, blah blah.  :angel

Half your luck.  :winking_tongue  The only time I ever dreamt about The Cure, I was wearing pyjama bottoms (in the dream) with a fabric failure meaning a hole probably made by a particularly sharp seatbone, seeing that pyjama bottoms are my preferred officewear.  You try answering your front door with a pyjama pants failure, and finding you have to invite people in for a cup of tea.  And then you're reversing all the way down the corridor because you can't turn around.   :-D
SueC is time travelling

dsanchez

2019.06.08 Dublin
2019.07.04 Novi Sad
2019.07.17 Athens

SueC

A fair bit of good journalism during this pandemic - and two excellent articles in yesterday's Guardian:

QuoteThis is what happens when the war on terror is turned inward, on America
Hamilton Nolan

Trump has realized that our vast post-9/11 security state can be used to police internal bogeymen like antifa

'If there was a tipping point, we're past it. Trying to determine the exact point at which we slip into fascism is like staring at a baby to see when it turns into an adult. By the time you perceive it, it's already happened.'

A strange and necessary ingredient of America's descent towards fascism is that it will have little impact on the majority of people. As militarized federal agents are deployed into major cities to snatch protesters and charge them with harsh federal crimes for daring to deface the ruling party's monuments, most Americans will continue living their normal lives with no discernible changes, at least for the time being. People wake up and eat breakfast and spend their days doing mundane tasks in fascist countries, too.

If there was ever a tipping point, we are past it. Trying to stare hard at the daily news to determine the exact point at which we slip into fascism is like staring at a baby to see when it turns into an adult. By the time you perceive it, it's already happened. It is important to understand that the crackdown phase that we are now in - the unaccountable government forces, the riot police, the teargas, the targeted political prosecutions that will come next - are not something new, but something old. This isn't about Donald Trump. This is about America, baby. This is what we do.

Trump, a fool ruled by impulse rather than strategy, did not build the fearsome machine of government oppression that is now being aimed at his political opponents. This machine was systematically assembled and lovingly tended to by generations of presidents before him - Democratic, Republican, Whig. Trump is only broadening its aperture. All of these tools have been sharpened on the bones of Native Americans and Black people and immigrants and Muslims overseas. America has always needed someone to oppress. Mostly so that we could steal their stuff, but also so that the rest of us didn't turn against one another. This country has managed to avoid a class war by giving poor white people an array of minorities to abuse, a trick that has benefited rich white people for centuries. We have used injustice not just as a way to get ahead, but as a release valve. Our leaders have long calculated that it is safer to subjugate and mistreat a minority of the population than to risk dissatisfaction in the majority. In doing so, the government has become very adept at creating enemies and wielding power against them in flagrant shows of force.

Worth reading in its entirety here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/24/trump-security-state-war-on-terror-america

Also a nice one on the precariat and COVID-19:

QuoteWorkplace insecurity pervades the whole economy, just when every job is under threat
Jeff Sparrow

We were urged to welcome precarity as a liberation from the old industrial order. Now the chickens are coming home to roost

'Let's start the discussion by recognising jobs didn't become insecure by accident.'

Article here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/25/workplace-insecurity-pervades-the-whole-economy-just-when-every-job-is-under-threat
SueC is time travelling

SueC

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

I'm not certain whether that's still sane, but when I'm dreaming about meeting people I make sure not to shake hands with them in my dreams because of keeping distance and all that...  :1f62e:
 :-D
If only I'd thought of the right words...